Favorite campsites around Moab (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So we're planning a trip to Moab and I'm looking for campsite suggestions. We like camping in more remote areas where you're not slammed up against a neighboring campsite. Any and all suggestions welcome. Post pics if you've got 'em!

Robbers bottom on the Dolores river, bride canyon off of Gemini Bridges trail, willow springs road, upper Spanish valley/ strike Ravine, east of area bfe, behind the rocks. There is much more but that's off the top of my head.

Planning to go to Moab this May! Is there specific trail we can just camp on the side? Don't want to fight people for a camping spot

Dome platuea if you start at Dewey bridge. There are a few camp spots a few miles in on the trail. Roberts bottom is near Dewey bridge there is usually a lot of camping spots down there. Along the kokopelli trail approaching top of the world trail there are a few camp spots. The north side of strike Ravine has some camping. The start of the 3d trail has some camping. There are probably more camp spots out there but that's all I think of at the moment. Make sure you are in compliance with the BLM have a toilet ect.

Dome platuea if you start at Dewey bridge. There are a few camp spots a few miles in on the trail. Roberts bottom is near Dewey bridge there is usually a lot of camping spots down there. Along the kokopelli trail approaching top of the world trail there are a few camp spots. The north side of strike Ravine has some camping. The start of the 3d trail has some camping. There are probably more camp spots out there but that's all I think of at the moment. Make sure you are in compliance with the BLM have a toilet ect.

Thanks for the info! Is there a link where I can read more on the rules of BLM? I can see that you're located in Moab, how is it during May? Will the trails be packed? It is my first time going and I actually would prefer a populated trail, in case anything happens I can ask for assistance. Thanks.

Just got back from two weeks in and around Moab and SE Utah. Stayed at both the Willow Springs Rd site (dispersed camping, free) and in Upper Onion. Being an old fart, it only cost me $7.50/night at Onion. I preferred Onion to be honest. Campsites are dispersed and the views are better. everything closer to town was packed. this week even worse with Jeep Jamboree going on. We also stayed at BLM's Hamburger Hill campground south of Needles in Canyon Lands and free in BLM's Valley of the Gods. You can also go up Moki Dugway and camp on BLM land around Muley Point. Great views of the Goosenecks and Monument Valley from there. Be prepared for either hot or cold weather. We had temps from 17-60 deg. F. with partly cloudy, rain, wind, sleet, groppel, hail. Did I say wind? 50-70 mph gusts one night. Fun time!

dale

Just got back from two weeks in and around Moab and SE Utah. Stayed at both the Willow Springs Rd site (dispersed camping, free) and in Upper Onion. Being an old fart, it only cost me $7.50/night at Onion. I preferred Onion to be honest. Campsites are dispersed and the views are better. everything closer to town was packed. this week even worse with Jeep Jamboree going on. We also stayed at BLM's Hamburger Hill campground south of Needles in Canyon Lands and free in BLM's Valley of the Gods. You can also go up Moki Dugway and camp on BLM land around Muley Point. Great views of the Goosenecks and Monument Valley from there. Be prepared for either hot or cold weather. We had temps from 17-60 deg. F. with partly cloudy, rain, wind, sleet, groppel, hail. Did I say wind? 50-70 mph gusts one night. Fun time!

dale
Thanks for the heads up! I'll look up those locations you listed. We're prepared to sleep in the rig if the weather conditions get too extreme.

Be prepared for either hot or cold weather. We had temps from 17-60 deg. F. with partly cloudy, rain, wind, sleet, groppel, hail. Did I say wind? 50-70 mph gusts one night. Fun time!

dale
Listed to this advice. My tent was guyed out but the wind ripped the stakes out of the ground and snapped a pole. I had a combo of MSR ground hog and standard stakes. It was the standard stakes that were ripped out. Use sand stakes or a something besides the basic spike. The ground is sandy.

at sandy camping spots, I find that cheap plastic grocery shopping bags, doubled up, and filled with sand works great. You tie the tent guide line to the handles of the bag. For extra security, in deep sand, bury the shopping bags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom