Family Camping trip this weekend. Old NC 105? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My brothers and sister want to do a hiking trip before my first kid comes in May. The trip we had planned involved a section of the blue ridge parkway that happens to be closed right now. I am itching to hit some dirt in the LX so I started looking around and found Old NC 105. Anyone have any experience with this road? From what I read it looks like an easy dirt road, but with lots of awesome overlooks. We will load up and just camp beside the truck I am sure. Does this road give any type of challenges or is it just a tame dirt road? I'd like a few challenges, but nothing too crazy. The plan is to head out Friday and come back Sunday. I'd love to hear your opinions on this area. Thanks in advance for any advice!

My brothers and sister want to do a hiking trip before my first kid comes in May. The trip we had planned involved a section of the blue ridge parkway that happens to be closed right now. I am itching to hit some dirt in the LX so I started looking around and found Old NC 105. Anyone have any experience with this road? From what I read it looks like an easy dirt road, but with lots of awesome overlooks. We will load up and just camp beside the truck I am sure. Does this road give any type of challenges or is it just a tame dirt road? I'd like a few challenges, but nothing too crazy. The plan is to head out Friday and come back Sunday. I'd love to hear your opinions on this area. Thanks in advance for any advice!
105 is just a gravel road ,some wash outs ,but not bad .some great campsites. I’ve done it in a 88 Nissan Sentra.

105 is just a gravel road ,some wash outs ,but not bad .some great campsites. I’ve done it in a 88 Nissan Sentra.
Any slightly challenging trails around that area? I'd like to hit 105 to camp but I'd love to at least need to lock the diff while I'm up there.

Richland road is in blowing rock.

Couple of rough spots ,but doable in a stock 80. I do it all the time in my bj73.

Couple of rough spots ,but doable in a stock 80. I do it all the time in my bj73.
I am in a stock 100 except for 275/70/18 falken wildpeak AT3W. I have no experience using the ATRAC yet so Ill probably wait on this one until I have backup with me, or a winch. And actually I don't even have a matching spare so I probably should take it easy. I may go get a spare this week before we leave. Mine is still stock size right now.

I am in a stock 100 except for 275/70/18 falken wildpeak AT3W. I have no experience using the ATRAC yet so Ill probably wait on this one until I have backup with me, or a winch. And actually I don't even have a matching spare so I probably should take it easy. I may go get a spare this week before we leave. Mine is still stock size right now.
I could be talked in to a trail ride .

@forrest5000, sounds like my wife isn't coming. I looked at some videos, Richland road looks pretty serious in a few spots. You really think my stock lx470 can make it without damage? I really don't know this vehicles limitations as this will be my first time wheeling it. I trust your opinion though.

@forrest5000, sounds like my wife isn't coming. I looked at some videos, Richland road looks pretty serious in a few spots. You really think my stock lx470 can make it without damage? I really don't know this vehicles limitations as this will be my first time wheeling it. I trust your opinion though.
Should have no problems. Went with stock 4runner .in 2wd

Are you planning on camping and hiking off old 105? the trails into the gorge are pretty awesome, but they are not "nature walking trails". I do have some campsites on GaiaGPS (.gpx files) if you like. Send me an email if interested to izzyandsue@yahoo.com

Are you planning on camping and hiking off old 105? the trails into the gorge are pretty awesome, but they are not "nature walking trails". I do have some campsites on GaiaGPS (.gpx files) if you like. Send me an email if interested to izzyandsue@yahoo.com
Awesome. I'll email you now. We don't have strict plans but we aren't afraid of a hike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom