Falken AT3W 10 ply?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry if this is a newbie question but I was curious as to why the tires doesn't indicate 10 ply.

IMG-4525.JPG

IMG-4529.JPG

Doesnt it say plies 5 on the tread and 2 on the sidewall?

I would guess it would be 5 (tread) x 2 (sidewall) = 10 plies
I dont know anything about this but just a guess

"Most radial passenger tires have one or two body plies, and light truck tires, even those with heavy-duty ratings (10-, 12- or 14-ply rated), actually have only two or three fabric plies, or one steel body ply."

looks like its correct. I was thinking it would say 10 ply somewhere, I guess not.

The industry term is “10 ply rated”. They obviously aren’t 10 ply nor are the vast majority of other E range tires. It seems nothing more than industry terminology for selling high load range tires without all the casing plies adding weight.

The AT3W is a great tire either way.

If I understand correctly, the ply rating was an older system before C/D/E rated tires. More plys = heavier duty. Now with the newer rating system, where the tire has to meet a measurable performance spec, instead of a construction spec, the mfgrs are able to find other ways besides lots of plys to meet the spec. But the terminology has been around so long it's still used to a degree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom