Factory Skid/Splash Shield Woes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got an offer from Bud Rosenberger (BudBuilt) to ship me one for the shipping cost as he has a pile of them.
Very generous offer. Super high quality stuff.
 
Very generous offer. Super high quality stuff.
To be clear, he's offering to ship an OEM skid that was a take-off from a vehicle that got some BubBuilt upgrades at his shop.
 
To be clear, he's offering to ship an OEM skid that was a take-off from a vehicle that got some BubBuilt upgrades at his shop.
Gotcha. I misunderstood.

Even so, that’s a nice offer if you’re wanting to keep OEM bash plates instead of going aftermarket.
 
Gotcha. I misunderstood.

Even so, that’s a nice offer if you’re wanting to keep OEM bash plates instead of going aftermarket.
Yeah, I'm not currently using this vehicle as a proper off-roader, just family hauler, tow vehicle for my travel trailer and mild off-roader. I have a '99 LC100 for the more rugged use.
 
Unfortunately quality is awful. Got my truck in Texas as well and had it in the northeast for close to 5 years now, was clean as new initially, now rust creeping in, going to get it dry ice blasted and dinitrol treated. Will post before after pics.
 
Unfortunately quality is awful. Got my truck in Texas as well and had it in the northeast for close to 5 years now, was clean as new initially, now rust creeping in, going to get it dry ice blasted and dinitrol treated. Will post before after pics.
The one I got from Bud is effectively sparkly brand new. Maybe I should put some additional anti-corrosion coating on it? I'm waiting until my next oil change to install it so it's currently disassembled into 3 separate pieces and would be easy to add some anti-corrosion stuff right now.
 
Yeah, don't overthink it and if you want to prevent put really almost anything on it. Some Rustoleum rust reformer would be good if you scuff up/prep the surface before applying or just do some Fluid Film and then re-apply every few years.

Something is always better than nothing with rust prevention. As long as you don't use those rubberized coatings that encapsulate the rust.
 
Back
Top Bottom