Extended Extended Winching: Hunting Related (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I dont believe a mile of winching....think urban legend as well. Only way to do a few hundred feet is to have it exit off spool after a few wraps to maintain friction so it never builds up to fill drum. With that cost and weight for the mile of line...would be better and likely cheaper to borrow an ATV if permitted or someones pack horse to get it out. :)

Better planning, field dressing, or cutting down into manageable sizes and carrying out with packframe. Or dont shoot that far back in the bush if not willing to put in the work.

Plus...I have dragged a deer 200 yards through swamp and fields...and it tears the crap out of the deer with fur and hide worn through.....just not wise choice unless you have one of the slippery plastic drag wraps.

Plan better...field dress...or quarter and pack out in pack frame setup.

A capstan winch works great. I have personally winched elk 400 yards (1200 ft) away up very steep brush covered hills. Over twenty years I have winched at least 20 elk using a capstan winch. It works amazingly. The rope I use is amsteel blue 3/16". 400 yards weighs only 12 pounds and fits in a small bag like a knapsack. It is the best tool out there for retrieving big game carcasses.

It is made by Speedwinch:
http://www.speedwinch.com

THey also have a video:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom