Excited New GX Owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,
I'm new to the forum and a new GX470 owner. I pick up the rig in a few days and am more than excited. I'm currently also an FJ Cruiser guy, so I'm familiar with the shared parts and 120 platform, but wow the two rigs are so different! I think its the V8 and luxury/plush feel vs the purpose built utilitarian feel of the FJ. My family is growing and with baby #2 coming in the near future, my FJ with it's 1/2 size backdoors will need to be retired from family hauler duties.

After 2 years of painfully loading my toddler in and out of my FJ and finding out that I'll be having a 2nd baby, I decided to start my search for 100 series LCs, 150 GXs, and 120 GXs, it was such a tough decision to choose between the platforms. If I went for the GX460, I'd have to trade my FJ in, which I am not ready to do since it's been so reliable, somewhat lower miles (70k), purpose built to my liking, and generally is currently holding value like a mad man. This narrowed it down to the 100 vs 120. As much as how I would've loved to find a 100, the version I wanted was rare since I wanted 5 speed and VVTI increased hp 2UZ, which narrowed it down to '06+ models and they're still expensive for the mileage. Then it hit me that I might have a higher chance finding the 5 speed and VVTI engine with decent miles if I looked for a GX470.

I finally pulled the trigger on a '06 silver/ dark grey interior with 95K miles for $15k. Unfortunately it has a NAV, which isn't preferred. What drew was that it was being sold locally, rust free, straight body, and service record showing that the timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, brakes, and driveline fluid changes 8k miles ago. I don't plan on modding it unless OEM parts start breaking or needing replacement i.e. airbag suspension, tires, etc. As a dad, I honestly can't wait to play Sesame Street using the DVD player. The older I get, the more I appreciate comfort, which I am hoping this rig will provide for my family and I.

I do have questions.

-What do you guys think about the secondary air injection pump? I've heard about the part failing. Should I just buy the bypass kit and install it before the system fails? My state don't require emissions testing.

-What do you guys think of a full tranny flush? I fully flushed my FJ when it was 50k miles as preventative maintenance. I heard that once a transmission reaches higher mileage, it can be controversial, and might be best to leave it alone.

-How has your GX performed as it got closer to 100k miles? It's a toyota and essentially a prado with big boy land cruiser engine, so they're meant to last. Just wanting to hear first hand experiences?

Cheers!

Congrats the additions to the family, both of them!

-What do you guys think about the secondary air injection pump? I've heard about the part failing. Should I just buy the bypass kit and install it before the system fails? My state don't require emissions testing.
This is what I did as a preventative measure.

-What do you guys think of a full tranny flush? I fully flushed my FJ when it was 50k miles as preventative maintenance. I heard that once a transmission reaches higher mileage, it can be controversial, and might be best to leave it alone.
At that low mileage, I think you would be fine changing it. I am at 177K and I think I will just do a 2 QT remove and replace rather than the entire tranny, JIC. Others will probably chime in on this.

-How has your GX performed as it got closer to 100k miles? It's a toyota and essentially a prado with big boy land cruiser engine, so they're meant to last. Just wanting to hear first hand experiences?
I have 177k and it is great. Routine maintenance is the key, I think.

I had 128k on my 06 and took it to a Lexus dealer for a drain and fill which was only 2 qts. Everything was fine. About 1 month later I decided to do another 2 qt drain and fill on my own and so far so good. I bought 2 cases so I'll probably keep doing this method instead of a complete flush to possibly prevent the detergents in the new oil from dislodging old crap and possibly clogging passage ways. Just my theory!

Yeah just to the bypass preemptively. Thats what I did as well. Just didn't want to worry about it.
Welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom