Engine Noise (Again. Sorry.) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know, I know. I posted a thread a couple of months ago about a "ticking" sound in the engine. I had a lot of helpful replies which some suggested was that this sound was normal. The service department agreed.

But now I am hearing something that is different. Different in sound and different in duration in that it doesn't go away once the engine warms up. Before I take it into the service department - again given that they claimed to not hear anything unusual the first time - I thought I would post a 5 sec video with my phone next to the engine. But I can't figure out how to (or if I can) attach a .MOV file. (Its just over 2MB). So to describe the noise it sounds more like crickets. Hi pitched squeak.

(This may or may not be related to the ticking noise I heard previously.)

Why so obsessed? Because I am sitting at about 87K miles and I have a 100K warranty. If it does turn out to be something significant (and costly) I would obviously prefer to have it addressed before I roll over 100K.

Thanks

need to upload the video to YouTube, Google Drive, OneDrive, or something then share that link.

When's the last time your serpentine belt was changed? You could test by spraying some belt conditioner on the belt (have to get it on the inside), or you can use a candle if you can get to the belt while it's running without hitting your hands on the fan blade.

my engine sounds like a diesel(105K)... I wish, but no 5.7... We have the same motor in our 16' Sequoia and it doesn't sound like this....

Thanks, @afgman786. First time uploading anything on YouTube. We'll see how well I do. I don't know if you will be able to pick out the noise. But I just took the LC over to the Toyota dealership and played the video for them on my phone. They could hear it right away. I have an appointment tomorrow for them to look into it.

@Mogwai, I don't know that the serpentine belt has ever been changed. I don't remember it being mentioned. Again, I have about 87K on the truck.

Definitely not a normal noise. Sounds like something on the accessory drive belt system which generally is a straightforward fix. Could be any of the idlers, waterpump, power steering, fan, etc.

Good catch and let us know what it turns out to be.

Definitely not normal. Some bearing going out that the drive belt is turning, could be water pump or pulley guide or tension-er. likely water pump.

This time the service tech won’t be able to claim “nothing to hear here”. Good to get the R&R under warranty.

Thanks, y'all! It truly is great to be able to get insights and advice from people who know 10X more about vehicles than I do. Though I must admit that 10 x 0 doesn't translate to much! ;).

I learned a while back that me trying to help people out on MUD is often not a good thing. I need to leave it for the experts!

I'll report back after the shop looks it over.

My14‘ made a sound like that too. Had it checked during oil change and turned out to be the belt tensioner. They replaced during the appointment - sound went away.

If they are replacing tensioner as part of the warranty. I would pay for the parts and have the replace idler pulley and serpatine belt. It should be minimal extra labor...less than 0.1 hour of extra labor charge.

Did you ever figure out what was causing the sound? I'm having a similar issue on my 2015.

thats definitely a belt related issue. likely an idler. I had 3 of them replaced over 80k miles on my 5.7 tundra.

Yes! I was going to provide an update once I had some time with the fix.

And to those who thought it was the serpentine belt - winner, winner, chicken dinner! The service department at my dealership couldn’t reproduce the sound though they could hear it on the video on my phone. So we agreed that we would replace the belt and see if it made a difference. Sure enough! No unusual sounds of any kind for the past week. Maybe the process of changing the belt “fixed” something else. But since the belt was replaced all is good!

and likely they sprayed some lube on the squeaking bearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom