Engine light ON. Should stop driving it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

atijerino said:
This solved my Code 71 problem.

You probably just jinxed yourself. Those EGR problems can be pesky... peskier than the PHH. Don't be too surprised if it comes back in a month or so. I fought with a P0401, off and on, for the first 18 months that I owned my truck.

-B-

When my check engine light came on in my '94, I was in the middle of nowhere, New Mexico. After hundreds of miles to the nearest city... there was still no visible/smellable/feelable problems, so I continued my trip to New York. Upon my arrival I took it to 2 different dealerships, who of course diagnosed my truck with two completely different problems. I gave them both the finger and to make a long story short, that was approximately 7 years and 200,000 miles ago. Check engine light is still on... engine is running perfectly with 300,000 miles on it.

I guess all I'm saying is... it's no reason to panic. :cheers:

This example is not a good one and has more than likely cost you some money as well as not knowing is something else has showen up that could effect the engine health. You have been luckly, big dog. But it has cost you in fuel. later robbie

With a pre OBDII rig, it's easy enough to pull over and check the codes. I had the same thing happen last week. Pulled over and found code 28 (02 sensor).

Forgot to mention that besides replacing the EGR Vacuum modulator I also replaced all the vacuum lines associated with the EGR circuit with Silicone vacuum lines. I do feel a more smoother running engine and could even say that the fuel comsuption is better, but I am not sure, I will have to go thru a whole tank of gas (about $60.00) to make that determination.

Thanks,

powderpig said:
You have been lucky big dog. But it has cost you in fuel.

Nah, I'm sure I'm getting a solid 5 city and 7 highway just like everyone else here.

LOL, Perro. Actually wouldn't you're gas mileage be better without an EGR working?? No recycled burned air, right??

He's my take on the check engine light. The light is orange. It looks like orange was selected for a warning light as in "hey there is something here that needs your attention, however you can safely continue driving". If you notice orange is also used for the low fuel light, the OD off light, low oil and I think the air bag light.

Red lights are the big ones that say, "hey pull over before the car explodes or you get dead". Red lights include brakes, charging, (and I can't think of any others in the 80).

It's the EFI fuse. Pull it out for 45 seconds(ignition switch OFF). It resets the light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom