Engine dying while driving intermittently (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had been cruising on the highway for ~1 hour, engine suddenly lost all power and started coasting. No throttle response. Interior electronics, gauges, and radio were not interrupted. The engine continued to turn until I bumped the shifter into neutral. After stopping, the engine would crank but not start. All fuses pass visual inspection. Tried loosening gas cap, reseated MAF connector, checked battery terminals, wiggled/pressed on relays. No effect, still would not start. No OBDII codes, no CEL.

After being stopped for ~20 minutes the engine fired up again. I filled the fuel tank and started driving toward home. 9 miles later it died in the exact same way. This time I was monitoring OBDII with the Torque Android App. The TPS seemed to be responding fine, although it seemed to stay within the 20% - 80% range. After 15-20 minutes it fired up again. I was able to drive less than 1 mile before it died again in the same way. At this point I got it towed to a friend's barn and left it there. There are no codes detected with my ODBII reader, no CEL, but I now have a techstream cable. No fuses are blown in either the engine bay fuse box, or the driver kick panel fuse box.

Last night I replaced the fuel pump + strainer and did a test drive for ~15 miles. There were 4-5 times where the engine momentarily stopped delivering power, then it would fire up again within a couple seconds. It never stumbled or hesitated, it was an on-off-on type thing. The engine never died long enough for the vehicle to stop. Does not seem throttle dependent, I can floor it and it has full power. I let the engine idle after my drive for ~15 minutes and it never died or stumbled at all. Every time the engine 'died' the green cruise light would shut off. No other dash lights came on. I was always able to press the cruise button and resume cruise control.

Feeling a bit stumped now. Any suggestions? I am heading back today, here's my list of things to check:
  • Bypass EFI fuse by jumping battery + to terminal F as described in this thread. I made a 'rescue wire' for this some time ago but didn't try it.
  • check voltage drop between battery and fuse terminals mentioned in link above
  • replace EFI fuse with 30A as mentioned in above link.
  • check voltage at fuel pump connector
  • install new fuel filter
Also here is a list of relevant maintenance I've recently done:
  • valve cover reseal
  • Spark Plugs
  • re booted ignition coils
  • Cleaned MAF with CRC maf cleaner
  • Cleaned MAF connector on both sides with contact cleaner

Since you replaced the fuel pump, were you able to return the o-ring gasket/seal to the new FP ? (As illustrated in the phot with red arrow)
F1900E7E-A78A-4993-AE49-8063BECC6B86.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom