Engine Dead - What to do fellow mudders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Mudders - My uncle is in Portland with an 88-89 FJ62 and engine is capoot (seized, no oil i believe). No leaks but oil pump wasn't registering or pumping through to engine and his daughter wasnt aware. ANYWAYS, point of this thread is what to do next.

Mileage: 199k

I don't want him to donate the cruiser and I may want to pick it up but several questions:
1) Do any of you know what it would cost to replace to a straight 6 or convert to 350?
2) Any mechanic recommendations in town willing to do this?
3) Sell it as is to one of you fine members with a trailer and come give it a new life?

Im in Ausitn TX and own an FJ60. I would like this ride but it depends on cost to get it cross country drivable. Im told the rig is in really good condition and would hate to pass up on owning another rig but i aslo know the time and patience these cruisers need to keep them driving (owned the 60 for 15+ yrs)

Any feedback, advice, etc is greatly appreciated as always

IMG_6611.JPG

IMG_6613.JPG

IMG_6614.JPG

IMG_6616.JPG

IMG_6617.JPG

Last edited:
Howdy Worldspan!

I'm no expert - so take everything i say with a grain of salt - or a shot of whiskey. your choice!

1) Do any of you know what it would cost to replace to a straight 6 or convert to 350?

no - but i'd be guessing several thousand at least. even if you just google GM 350 crate motor - you're talking $3000.00 price of admission to get started.
if you're paying professional labor to do the job - it's another few thousand (guessing)
perhaps you know someone and/or willing to find a used motor - refresh it as needed - still talking a few grand - unless you can get up here and DIY it.

search the classifieds here - see if anyone is selling a running 3FE like this:

2) Any mechanic recommendations in town willing to do this?
depends on if you want to stay Toyota - or willing to go non-Toyota

call the local land cruiser shops:

I'm guessing these shops are pretty busy - and maybe backed up for months before they'd take you in - even if you had a fat wad of cash to burn.

3) Sell it as is to one of you fine members with a trailer and come give it a new life?
since you're talking to your family member - any idea what he wants for it as-is?

Im in Ausitn TX and own an FJ60. I would like this ride but it depends on cost to get it cross country drivable. <-- $$$$$$

Portland to Austin (driving)
33 hr (2,169 miles)
2200 miles / divided by 12 Mpg = 183 gallons.
round up to 200 to make easy math
national average for petrol is around $3.00/gallon

so you're looking at no less than $600.00 to drive it back to austin - after you have resurrected it from seizure. flight to pdx - $300 ish??

i just googled car transport:
Cost for 2020 GMC Yukon $1,669 average, open carrier
co-worker of mine bought a new-to-him 80's era corvette from Cars & Bids - shipped phoenix to portland - closed carrier. $2000.00
My boss moved from Portland to just outside Dallas last fall - they shipped a 3 series BMW - open carrier - $1500.

my opinion - the truck doesn't look like it's in that great of shape from what I can see in the photos. rusty wiper arms (what else has corrosion) broken plastic bits, roached clear coat - baloney skins for tires - who knows what else it needs (probably a lot!!)

might not be worth the hassle if you're paying $$$$. Now if you get it for free and just take the low hassle route and have it shipped to down to you - and then you get to work on it yourself - maybe.

Last edited:
Much appreciated feedback Paul. The rig would be free to me. Driving it backto TX would be the way to go IF i get it resurrected but i do agree with your assessment that it may not be worth the hassle. These rigs ALWAYS have other issues found when working on the main issue so i'm perplexed what to do next.

I will call those shops and see what they say before i do anythign else. I would hate to see this hauled off for donation though, thats my biggest concern honestly.

I will move this thread to classifieds and see what the interest is after discussion with the shops

Again, thanks for the detailed response. I love this site

Much appreciated feedback Paul. The rig would be free to me. Driving it backto TX would be the way to go IF i get it resurrected but i do agree with your assessment that it may not be worth the hassle. These rigs ALWAYS have other issues found when working on the main issue so i'm perplexed what to do next.

I will call those shops and see what they say before i do anythign else. I would hate to see this hauled off for donation though, thats my biggest concern honestly.

I will move this thread to classifieds and see what the interest is after discussion with the shops

Again, thanks for the detailed response. I love this site

keep us posted... if you're saying you can acquire it for free...and you have the means to fly here / drive it back - then you might not be too far off from having it shipped.

if i had a 60 series that needed an engine - it would be getting a diesel conversion (if it were me). then you'd be talking about a truck worth restoring into something that will have good future resale value ( IMHO)

Yea, diesel swap would be ideal tbh.

I'd keep it stock. Just sayin'.

Quoted 10-12k for engine rebuild 4-6monhts turnover. This baby might go on the classifieds...haha

I was just thinking about that 1FZ in Boise. Also found what looks like a complete 1KZ diesel with trans and tcase in Seattle:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom