1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine Cleaning Chemicals

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by RIROCKS, Feb 22, 2007.

1. RIROCKS

RIROCKS

To Clean or not to clean....

Looking for recommendations on a chemical (ie foaming) engine cleaner. I've heard some people swear to not use these, but it seams there would be no more risk than using a steam cleaner. Any suggestions...or is just leaving it dirty the safest bet?

2. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

nicer when clean.

I use Simple Green.

3. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    i find mean green when hot and a good soaking quite effective.then i spray on again and wash away.no power washing needed i find

4. toylndcrusr

toylndcrusr

Using strong degreasers can cause the aluminum to start to oxidize. It looks good for a while, then it discolors and starts producing what can look like mold. Mild detergents like Simple Green that require a little more in the way of elbow grease seem to work best for me. Plus, the stronger chemicals probably aren't good for the rubber plastic stuff under the hood.

5. Buckru

Buckru

WD 40. The great thing about this is after several cleanings you begin to build a light film that makes cleaning going forward much easier.

Buck Buchanan

6. -Spike-

-Spike-

Engine Brite FTW. Not the foamy stuff, it didn't work as well for me.

-Spike

7. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

The best and safest solvent around anywhere is ...

Hot Water ...

Seriously; chemicals tend to leave either an odor or oxidation on things ... results ...
    Engine Wash.jpg

8. RIROCKS

RIROCKS

Is that hot water under pressure, read steam cleaner...???? That is beautiful by the way.

9. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

Yes and no, this is what I do ... I have a hot water faucet for use on our outside areas that I plug my pressure washer into, I use the fan setting (not the jet setting so I wont peel paint) on the pressure washer and regulate the pressure to no more than 1600 psi (again, so I wont peel paint), I run the pressure washer for no more than ten to twenty minutes at a time so that I wont basically burn up the pressure washer pump. I tend to do this deal about every other washing and it works wonders. No worry with chemicals. Anyone can do the same thing with their washer outlets if they dont have a hot water outlet outside. Thanks for the compliment. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

10. LX_TREME

LX_TREME

Should compare above pic with 7yrs old pic (When my 1FZ stock well, but now not anymore)...and let the judge decide :D
    LX_Motor.JPG

11. Ting

Ting

I read in 40 section that simple green can be bad for metal.... Do some search!!!

It will promote rust...

12. D'Animal

D'Animal Rescuer of Beagles & Landcruisers Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Certain oils eat paint. Any degreaser will clean the oil residue off and expose bare metal. The end result is rust or oxidation.

13. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

Its always a competition with you LX, okay then, my pic is closer to the nine year mark, AND, your manifolds are rusty, back to school my boy, back to school!
    :D :flipoff2: :D

Ohh, yea, yer still missing yer turbo there bud! And sorry to say, all those stickers aint makin ya any faster!!! :flipoff2:

14. LX_TREME

LX_TREME

Sorry for the hi-jack thread..here i just let you see it lil.. new one no sticker at all :flipoff2: :D
    Major Tuned Up 007.jpg

15. LX_TREME

LX_TREME

And for the manifold...it sittin in the garage..just no time to install it too busy with other thing..but anyways samething i let you see it just lil...see no more rust but ssst... just keep these between two of us :D :flipoff2: :D
    Amikura Manifold_03.jpg Amikura Manifold_0222.JPG Amikura Manifold_0111.JPG

16. Brian Macgyver

Brian Macgyver

Walmart has a degreaser in the house label that works OK. It is a light solvent like wd-40 that foams. I always keep several cans on hand as it costs less than $1 a can. I have cleaned customer engines with it for years.
    If you need it cleaner than that will do, then get out the tooth brush and engine wax!

17. NVR ENUF

NVR ENUF

My neighbor always used the hot water right out of his water heater to wash off his engine. I plan to do the same but is there anything I need to cover up first, like distributor cap and battery?

18. 80jay

80jay

OIL EATER Costco stocks it. works great

19. tomatopants

tomatopants

I once drove through water and it kinda caused me not to be able to drive until the distributor cap was completely dried out. Mudrak advised me to spray it down with WD-40 to keep the water from getting in. It worked well.

Anyone else with input? Because I don't really know what I'm talking about, most of the time. ;p

20. agomez

agomez

Media:
    Albums:
    towel dry the distributor and wires real good and shoot with some wd 40 all should be good after that ....just don't spray directly at that area...