Encryption flaw / weakness affects land cruiser 200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In short: it's easy to clone the key because the encryption between the key and the car is weak.

The article describes it best:

This require someone to be able to get into close proximity of the key so it seems this is something that requires someone to specifically want to steal your car and, for example, get near you in the super market to interact with the rfid in your key

From article:

Toyota told the site that “the described vulnerability applies to older models, as current models have a different configuration” and is “low risk.”

The full list of affected models is below, including Toyota Camry, Corolla, RAV4, and Highlander models....

6C719B69-9E8C-4C9C-BA19-7F225DE705D5.png

24-bit encryption is stupidly weak. Even 80 bit was crackable twenty years ago. Honestly if someone has the equipment and skills I’d be less concerned about someone cloning my fob and more concerned about someone sniffing the radio transmission when I unlock or start the vehicle and then cracking it on their laptop in a few minutes. Or just showing up with a tow truck and dragging it off under the cover or darkness.

24-bit encryption is stupidly weak. Even 80 bit was crackable twenty years ago. Honestly if someone has the equipment and skills I’d be less concerned about someone cloning my fob and more concerned about someone sniffing the radio transmission when I unlock or start the vehicle and then cracking it on their laptop in a few minutes. Or just showing up with a tow truck and dragging it off under the cover or darkness.

For this specific attack though you really need to scan the rfid chip on the remote.

We're also still vulnerable to amplifier attacks where burglars use hardware to make sure the car thinks the keyfob is within a short distance of the car.

It seems though that our cruisers will start beeping once they drive away and the connection between the keyfob and car is broken (although it's not a very hard beep).

For this specific attack though you really need to scan the rfid chip on the remote.

We're also still vulnerable to amplifier attacks where burglars use hardware to make sure the car thinks the keyfob is within a short distance of the car.

It seems though that our cruisers will start beeping once they drive away and the connection between the keyfob and car is broken (although it's not a very hard beep).
Correct. I used to provide commercial encryption solutions (inc. auto manufacturers for encryption key management & HW security modules). However, much different than the remote / over the air protocols and standards which are not as secure. Very weak ciphers here.

If concerned, you can always get a Faraday case for your remote.
Amazon product ASIN B07MDF5TX9
Another option is to turn off your key fob. The 2018 owner's manual references this and not sure how applicable it is to older models. See below.
IMG_0058.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom