Empty sub tank not used for years (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
holahonduras.net
I have a 2001 Diesel Land Cruiser with a working sub tank (at least I think it is) but it's empty and hasn't been used in a few years.
I was thinking about putting diesel into it and putting it into service, but am worried that if it's been sitting empty for so long, it might be full of crud and plug up the fuel pump or filter. I don't REALLY need it but for long trips it seems like a cool thing to have.
Any suggestions as to what I should do to make sure it doesn't affect my fuel system; or should I just forget about it?
BTW, the vehicle is in Honduras where the roads are very dusty in the dry season, and most are dirt where I live.

If I lived in an area that had parts and services, I would fill it and run it to empty several times prior to the trip.

Well then, maybe I just better forget about using the sub tank :) Seems like it could result in more issues with contamination in pump, injectors and filter than it's worth?

Dropping/installing the sub tank in an 80 is a real PITA and I can't imagine its any different on a 100. The only way contamination would occur is through the valve that you have had closed at the filler neck. That said, I doubt much contamination has occurred. Like I said, if it were me, I'd fill the aux tank and run it empty several times prior to the trip and use it as designed. It's just my opinion.

I just had an idea: Fill the aux tank then disconnect the aux tank fuel pump where it connects to the main tank and "bleed" off about 2-4 gallons into a gas can*. Reconnect and your in business. For more insurance you could even install a small fuel filter in that line to catch anything that you might have missed. Those small filters are sold in most auto parts stores.

*mix this diesel with gas 4:1 ratio for a variety of problem solving issues.

Last edited:
Having experience with both diesels and LCs, bring a couple spare fuel filters and use that sub tank! Sitting for a while shouldn't affect it and in the case that extra contamination has gotten in, the worse you'll get is a nasty filter. By all means run it! Sub tanks are the bees knees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom