Emissions Controller, what does it do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
The wealth of knowledge on the Aus carb'd fj62's is not super easy to find around here, especially when finding emissions based questions! The little yellow emissions 'computer' in the passenger footwell kick panel on these busses, what does it do other than suck at controlling the fuel cut solenoid? I believe mine had been bypassed since the solenoid is grounded through the body of the carb, but is there anything I'm missing that would help make it run better? And how would I go about testing it to possibly repair it and undo the PO's janky handywork? There isn't really much of an emissions manual for an '88 carbed 3f in Aus that I can find to help explain or diagnose it..
Thanks mud haters

On USA 2F engines which are very similar to your carbureted 3F, guys have removed all their smog equipment including the emissions computer with no ill effect.
While your emissions components will be a bit different than the USA 2F, they'll do the same thing. There's a thread somewhere on this forum called "My desmog Thread" or something like that that has a linked PDF with detailed instructions on how to desmog a USA 2F engine. You should be able to cross reference similar components on your engine to follow along

Controls Emissions ?

:rofl::rimshot:

Spike is correct as usual-
Here's the schematic for the USA 2F. The solid lines are electrical pathways (wires) and the double lines are vacuum passages.
You can see by tracing lines what systems are connected to the emissions computer.
Your emissions setup undoubtedly isn't as complicated as ours.

image.jpeg

I don't know if there is an emissions manual associated with the 3F. The engine manual I have doesn't really cover emissions. However, there is the wiring diagram from the body and chassis manual. If I'm reading it correctly it shows an emissions "computer" associated with the Saudi Arabia Spec vehicle with A/T and the Australia spec vehicle. For Australia, there are inputs from the vacuum switch and engine speed and the one output seems to be the fuel cut solenoid. From this it looks like all the computer does is control the fuel cut solenoid.

Good luck.

1611327572234.png

Attachments

• wiring diagram page 1.pdf
    396.2 KB · Views: 55

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom