Electrical/starting problem on a cold day (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently on a very cold day (15F) I decided to take the FJ out to run some errands. When I went to start it, absolutely nothing happened. No cranking, no noise and none of the electrical accessories came on. I sat for a minute with the key in the on position, and suddenly the accessories (fan, lights) came on, and then it started fine. I drove for a while, turned it off for a while, and it started fine. But after the next stop, the same thing happened - no electricity, wait a few minutes, everything's fine.

Nothing like this has happened before, but this is probably the coldest day I've driven it on so maybe that has something to do with it. This isn't the typical cold weather sluggish start though -- absolutely nothing happens when you turn the key.

What could this be?

Try the key switch. Could be worn out. Next time jiggle it to see if there is any effect.

Did you solve this? I have had this same problem for several years now, with my 1997 FZJ-80. My symptoms: on cold days (the colder it is, the more likely it is to happen-- starts to happen somewhere south of 20F), when the truck is cold (this never has happened after the vehicle has run for awhile), I unlock the truck, hop in and turn the key and .... nothing. No crank, no click, no lights or accessories. Usually (but not always, and recently, less often) holding the key for a second works-- it suddenly fires up as if there was no problem. I've replaced the battery, no joy. I've jiggled the key, no effect. Lately, I've had to leave the truck sitting, and then I'll come back later, and 'zoom!' fires right up and acts completely fine.
My plan right now is to replace key cylinder and see what happens.
The only trend I have observed consistently, is that the colder it is outside, the more likely it is to have this 'no start' condition.

Recently on a very cold day (15F) I decided to take the FJ out to run some errands. When I went to start it, absolutely nothing happened. No cranking, no noise and none of the electrical accessories came on. I sat for a minute with the key in the on position, and suddenly the accessories (fan, lights) came on, and then it started fine. I drove for a while, turned it off for a while, and it started fine. But after the next stop, the same thing happened - no electricity, wait a few minutes, everything's fine.

Nothing like this has happened before, but this is probably the coldest day I've driven it on so maybe that has something to do with it. This isn't the typical cold weather sluggish start though -- absolutely nothing happens when you turn the key.

What could this be?

I never figured anything out and it never happened again. We had some very cold weather in the last couple days and it was starting fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom