Electrical Short after battery replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a new one. I have a 95 RR classic. I took the battery out of the vehicle and charged it over night. Prior to removing the battery the vehicle was driven about 15 miles (the most it has been driven in the past 6 months). This morning, I replaced the battery. When I connected the ground the horn blew continuously and the front wipers activated even though the switch is in the off position. The vehicle also will not start. I thought it was likely an alarm issue and tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door. Nothing seems to work. I've pulled the horn fuse while experimenting to prevent any damage. Any ideas? Is there a circuit that connects the horn and the wipers?

Update

I think Ive traced the source the the multi function unit. Apparently the multi function unit is a small computer board made by Lucas that controls many of the electrical functions. After swapping batteries I was able to get it started but I have lost most of the electrical systems in the vehicle. (AC, windows, headlights, tach, radio seat motors no longer function). I believe the bad battery may have had a voltage spike that finished off the MFU. (I think the MFU was on it way out for a while as I had lost use of the rear wiper, rear defrost and mirrors, although these could be unrelated).

I bought a MFU off ebay which should be delivered Friday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom