Electrical gremlins at it again. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 40 left me stranded the other day. This is only the 3rd time in 23 years of ownership she wouldn't get me home. I have been chasing an electrical issue for a few years (turned out it was a loose connection on the back of the ampmeter). I replaced a few things along the way (new fuse block, battery, gauge cluster etc) to rule out some issues. Before she died I could run and drive the 40 without issue with several things not working.

I had no taillights but do have brake lights.
No parking lights up front.
My fan switch no longer worked.
All gauges are not working except the ampmeter.

This time, if I turned the 2F over it would fire and run until I let the key come to rest in the ACC/On position, then it would die. It fired up for a second then died each time the key came to rest in the ACC/On position. This makes me think there could be something wrong in the ignition switch and could be a reason my dash switches don't work like they did. It appears there is no power flowing when I am in the second key position? I replaced the pigtail from the ignition switch to the harness with a OEM unit about 5 years ago.

I am so close to taking the whole rig down for a full resto but don't want to land in Land Cruiser jail for several years. I am only the 2nd owner, most the rig is pretty original and none of the wiring has been hacked and bubba fixed... that is what is so frustrating. I am considering a new harness to clean it up again but if I go that far, shes getting body work and paint while I am in there.

Any thoughts on what to be checking before throwing in the towel?

1976 FJ40 US spec.

I would pull the ignition switch and test the power terminal in the run position for power I would bet on a ba ignition switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom