echo link (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lovetoski

SILVER Star
Threads
I think I understand how echo-link works from base-station to base-station. But I am not sure if or how it works while mobile. Assuming two hams have echo-link enabled radios in their vehicle, and are far enough apart that they do not have a repeater they can both hit. As long as there is an echo-link repeater they can each hit (i.e. two different EL repeaters) can they still talk to each other? A cell phone would be easier obviously, but that misses the point. This seems like a great way to have mobile to mobile communication regardless of distance between the two vehicles...assuming there are EL repeaters w/in range of course.
If EL works this way while mobile, can you just use one of the Kenwood EL mobile radios, and you're off to the races?

I don't know anything about the echolink radios but for the mobile (cell phone use) it should work like this--Any mobile user with a mobile internet connection can connect to any echolink repeater. So, if two hams with a mobile internet signal connected to the same echolink repeater, they could talk. That said, unless one of them is using a device that has mobile internet but not voice, this doesn't make sense as they could just call each other. This would work well in a situation where you wanted to talk to a person who did not have cell service but could use their ham radio to talk on an echolink enabled repeater.

I have been using Echolink for a while. It is a very good internet radio option, and I can use it on my ipad or iphone as long as I have wifi or cell tower connection. You need at least cell service to use it. It really works nice when connecting with another user directly, or you can join the "conferences" out there all over the world, works like a D-Star reflector if you are familiar with that internet service.
On an echolink radio, you need to make sure you have an echolink repeater in range to communicate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom