Earth Anchor recovery tool? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know about this device from SEMA? WOndering if it's a pullpal type thing in a smaller pkg.
any links or info would be great
expeditionswest_SEMA_06-0120.JPG

looks like just a stake basically.
Pull pal is more like a digging anchor IIRC

Looks like a stake w/ a built in slide hammer. Probably good for tieing off a small boat at the beach, or possibly doing LIGHT recovery on the beach or something, but I don't think it would be a secure winch point for a good stuck.

Yup, it's a stake with slide hammer.

Earth Anchor
Document Type and Number: United States Patent 4459787
Link to this Page: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4459787.html

Abstract: An earth anchor having an elongated pointed shaft, a stop member affixed to the shaft intermediate the ends, a weighted impactor having an internal opening and being slidably received on the shaft, the impactor being engageable with the stop member by reciprocal motion to drive the shaft into the earth, the shaft having a series of spaced openings in the upper portion thereof and an elongated handle member receivable in selected openings whereby the shaft may be rotated as it is driven into the earth, the handle member being useable for impact by upward movement of the impactor to extract the anchor from the earth, and to serve as a lock to arrest the movement of the impactor when being transported.

thanks hoser,
i wonder what the pull rating on it is. the pullpal is so massive, but something would be nice in the desert terrain...

Abstract: An earth anchor having an elongated pointed shaft, a stop member affixed to the shaft intermediate the ends, a weighted impactor having an internal opening and being slidably received on the shaft, the impactor being engageable with the stop member by reciprocal motion to drive the shaft into the earth, the shaft having a series of spaced openings in the upper portion thereof and an elongated handle member receivable in selected openings whereby the shaft may be rotated as it is driven into the earth, the handle member being useable for impact by upward movement of the impactor to extract the anchor from the earth, and to serve as a lock to arrest the movement of the impactor when being transported.

Looks like a slick set-up but good grief, the description is a little, ummmmm, long winded:rolleyes:

Problem I see with this, is just like any other stake, the pull at the top will tip it toward you and it will then simply pull out of the ground.

Mark...

Maybe in combination with a rigging like this....
Picket_Holdfast_Anchor.jpg

If you are in soft sand and bogged you can dig a hole ,tie your recovery rope to the spare tyre and throw it in the hole and bury it,get someone to stand on top if its safe to do so.

With tyres let down and the right gears Ive alway found it hard to get bogged anyway

That may work in soft sand where you have sunk the tires down enough to stop yiour forward progress, but not so well when you've got 40 inch tires below the surface in swamp muck. buried spare tires just pull out. Or in hardpack clay and gravel just beyond swamp muck that you are stuck in. I have never seen a situation in the world I wheel in where burying a tire is anything more than exercise. :(

And I can show you places where a half a second's inattention, or a one foot mistake in picking a line will leave you stuck no matter what sort of gears (and tires) you have. :(

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom