1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Early brake line extensions?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by amandap, Aug 17, 2006.

1. amandap

amandap

OK, I know someone out there has probably solved this problem. I just put a 4" lift on my 66FJ40 and need to extend the brake hoses, two in front one in rear. No aftermarket ones to be found. Any suggestions? Has anyone found adapters for the early fittings? I've been told they are 9mm and need to be either 8 or 10 depending on who I asked. Am I going to have to rework my hard lines all around? Help!!

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:

This would be your best bet.

Get a double flare tool, some tubing and go to town.

No big deal.

Good luck!

-Steve

3. krzyabncanuck

krzyabncanuck USFS HOTSHOT GOLD Star

I went to my local hydrolic line store that makes lines while you wait and he made some for me with new fittings and whatever length i wanted . Cost me about 25 per line.

4. rabid

rabid

Get a standard extention (like a metric nissan rear brake hose- look in the FAQ)
    and just cut and flare two standard metric fittings onto your existing line ends.

I did this for a while before I changed them all out.

One thing to think about: if you break/snag/ kink a line in the woods, no parts store or other drivers will have your lines. Cutting and flaring on the trial would suck.

IMO, it is worth eventually reworking all the lines and getting rid of the early stuff, but this will work for now.

5. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    IMO, reflaring is your best bet....greatest interchangability...

option B - check the fitting size for the hose from the axle to backing plate...it's about 9" long, with a male on one end and a female on the other....

while a dozen people will say that's a hack-way of extending a brake hose from the frame to the axle, mine has been installed that way in the front for about 10 years with zero ill effects.

6. amandap

amandap

Yes, in my heart I know this...who sells a decent double flare tool. Seems the one I have is junk...recommendations? Is a good Snap-On one worth the $$? Any recommended upgrades while I'm at it?

7. amandap

amandap

I thought maybe there was an easy way to do this...guess not. I'm eventually changing out axels to the 78 ones I have. Seems the time would be now while all this needs to be done. Prompts some more questions about disk brake conversion...search time.
    Thanks.

8. awp_cruiser

awp_cruiser

The snap on is pretty slick. The wing nuts are shaped to use the handle as a wrench, and the bar locks the tubing in place rather than having to juggle the tubing the, the bar, and the press.

The rigid unit is pretty solid too. Since I don't do a ton of flaring, I went with the Rigid. But if $$ was not an issue...

9. my64fj40

my64fj40

Did you try Downey :confused:

10. amandap

amandap

I think so. I went thru my whole list. I'll double check tho...maybe I missed one. Thanks.

11. my64fj40

my64fj40

http://www.downeyoff-road.com/SuspensionComponents/index.htm

47212 ‘64-69 Front, Two 28” hoses, 9mm at frame and 11mm $71.88
    47213 ‘70-74 Front, Two 28” hoses, 10mm both ends $71.88
    47214 ‘75-83 Front, One hose, 10mm both ends $37.47

NOTE - Reroute or remount rear brake hose as necessary, or inquire about other hose lengths/threads available from Downey.

Good luck

-my64fj40

12. amandap

amandap

Ahh yes, there it is. Thanks!
    One more question...They state that rear line must be re-routed? I'll call them, but this sounds wierd. Don't they make a rear line also? Hmmm...

13. my64fj40

my64fj40

I noticed that too

If you call them can you post up what they say as I'am probably going to be ordering a set here soon also

Thanks

-my64fj40

14. amandap

amandap

Sure thing. Got too busy today, try tomorrow. Does anyone know if the fittings are the same on the rear hose? Didn't get a chance to pull mine last trip. My current lines are about 18" in front, less in back...28" sounds really long. I only lifted it 4". Will it really have that much more articulation?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">