Dual Battery with Main Location Swap, Winch and Group 31 and 34 Size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I completed my dual battery setup. What may be different than others is that I did the relocation of the main battery and was able to use a much larger group 31 battery for the secondary. The biggest challenge was the relocation of the main due to the short factory cables to the main power box and from the alternator. Here is some info should others want to explore this option.

The overall idea was to have the largest possible reserve in the original main battery area, and to used the location on the other side for the starting with the largest cold cranking amps and reserve as it will still be used for all the demands of a normal Land Cruiser and winching (although my controller allows the connecting of both during high loads or for jumping to the main). I was able to use a Group 31 dual purpose battery (such as the Diehard or Oddesey) in the original location with minor modifications to the bracket and the same type of smaller size battery- the group 34 with a customize 200 series group 34 battery tray and bracket (such as what @slee offroad is making). I went with the National Luna Controller.

Now back to the relocation decision. I search and found a way to tie the two wires(one to main power box and the larger wire from the alternator) together with the extension heavy gauge wire to the other side of the engine bay. You have to cut the battery terminals off of these short cables. The two go into one side of the inline connector and the 1/0 wire goes to the new starter battery. It is actually made for high current, high or low temperature DC water proof connector. It was designed to be underground for high current DC wires. It is called NSI Industries ESGS-4/0 Easy splice inline gel kit with connector. I found it on Amazon.

Anyway, here are a few pics that may help.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
And here is the pics of how to extend the alternator and main battery power box wire over to the other side. Note the last pic does not show both side of the display working- it is just a shutter thing on the IPhone- both were lit.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Awesome. You need to bring that up to Cars and Coffee some time.

For reference, I used the Diehard Group 31 (Phasing out so if you can get one - get it. Same as the Oddessy) and the X2Power Group 31 (same or better specs as Oddesey). These X2Power batteries are made by NorthStar Battery and distributed by BatteriesPlus nationwide. Lower cost than the Oddessy. American Made.

The Group 31 has 205 minutes and 1150 CCA and 100 AH Reserve. The Group 34 has 133 minutes and 880 CCA and 63 AH. So by swapping locations of the starting battery - and using a group 31 rather than a group 34 on both, you can achieve 37 more Amp Hours reserve and a huge bonus power boost during wincing or jumping stating battery.

Last edited:
@BTUMAN, did I miss it in the write-up, or did you say which tray you used for the new primary battery location by the air intake?

@BTUMAN, did I miss it in the write-up, or did you say which tray you used for the new primary battery location by the air intake?

I used the Proline. Well made and Power Steering relocate was good. However, it was built 1 inch too tall and I had to modify it once I got it. I told them and they are going to change the template for future orders. He is going to send me a new one later as my modifications ruined the powder coating.

On the power steering relocate- I found if you pull off one of the big emissions hoses in the way, route the power steering hose to the other side and then re-connect it gives you more room without kinking the hoses or getting too close to the belt.
Welcome to Proline 4wd Equipment - Proline 4wd Equipment

Not on site - have to call Miguel.

Note that @sleeoffroad is developing one now.

Last edited:
Here is the Proline. Very well made but not cheap. Like how the bolts are recessed and how the feet level out the base.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1443556997.358762.jpg

Thanks. It is working great. I've been testing the set up with an ARB47L (50q) Fridge running at 34 degrees non stop with only runs to work in the morning and evening. Runs from 630 pm to 630 am in garage at 80+ and only used 1 tick mark below the top of the yellow. The large group 31 is a monster for capacity- will never need ice again. I won't miss that ice sloshing sound on the trails.

You will note that I did not install the larger fuses- these are not recommend when installing with a winch due to the high current that you may see when winching across the solenoid if you needed to tie them together. So if you are going with National Luna- don't buy the kit- just the solenoid and controller. It is not worth the extra cost of the kit for the wire and small fuses.

I also went with 1/0 cable rather than the 1 gauge recommended. Just not that much more for assurance of no current losses or hot wires. Remember to heat shrink each connection and to use the black ribbed wire chase on where every the wires may come into contact with vibration and metal. Cutting those terminals off the factory cable was the moment of commitment- reminded me of drilling the side when I installed the Snorkle.

I sourced all the parts - wire, lungs, terminals from Amazon. You really have to draw it out and count twice and get a good terminal crimper or have serious solder skills. I have a nice scar on my left index finger from my contact with a 1200F solder iron- burned to the bone right on the top of the first joint. I think each of the Land Cruisers I've owned have made a mark on me- some literally and some just as I saw them loaded and hauled away.

Did you run into any problems with the vehicle's computer system when you replaced the battery? Did the computer come back up without having to reset anything like the TPMS - tire pressure monitor?

Thanks.

No issues. Worked fine when reconnecting.

Nice . How did you run the new starter battery cables to the D/S ? Across the front of the truck?
Yes. Across the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom