Dryer thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well since we have a washing machine thread going and since the dryer in my new house died yesterday(came with the house) i figured i would start a thread about dryers...

So the problem i am having is that everything works on the dryer but it doesn't get hot. Dad suggested that it could be that only one leg of the 240 was getting to the dryer... grabbed my multi meter and...well that had no battery so i wasn't able to test out what it could be...BUT tonight i am going to work on it...if i remember to get batteris...

gawd i love owning a home.

Stew

Stew, the problem with owning a home is you never have any free time to do the fun stuff 'cause you're always on a honey-do or fixin' somthing.

I've been told by a appliance mechanic, if it's an older washer or dryer, rebuild it. The newer ones, he said are junk.

yeah it an't new thats for sure. whats even more funny is that i got 3 washing machines with the house (one in the laundry room and 2 in the garage) don't know if the ones in the garage work but if they do then i will give em away if not good thing the transfer station take em for free:)

Yeah i think i am going to start a "house project" thread cause i know i an't gonna have time to work on my truck(s) now.

Stew

I was having the same issue but with a gas model.
The troubleshooting looked pretty straightforward for the electric.
Aparently there are two fuses in the electric and one is for the heat.

hth

ken

No heat or not enough heat? Fuses are possible also the element. I replaced the heating element in mine a few weeks ago (GE) and that helped a good bit. About 25.00 and an hour or so with some vacuum action and I figure she is good for a few more years.

I have a 15 year old Whirlpool dryer that stopped blowing hot air. In an afternoon I took it all apart-they are super simple inside. I replaced a fan, a belt and a few gaskets, and the gas solenoid. Total parts $20. It works as good as new.

I did find a website that had a trouble shooting guide for every model and manufacturer. It was extremely helpful. The most difficult thing was routing the new drive belt.

Locate the heating element, disconnect it, take your multimeter and measure the resistance across the element. A 220V element should measure around 10 ohms or so. If it's bad you will read an open circuit.

I am getting like 11.8ohms so that is good. Looks like the wires going to the heater gave up the ghost... they are all charred and crunchy... going to replace the wires and connectors and hopefully that will do it!

Stew

Don't know if this is too late, but make sure you use high temperature wires or they will do it again ( and maybe start a fire ). An appliance repair or restaurant equipment repair shop should be able to sell you some. You can also buy ceramic wire nuts for use in high temperature environments.

G'dood

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom