Drum brake interchangability (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After I got disk bakes in the front of my 72 Fj40, I saved all the stuff I took off thinking that the wheel cylinders and drums were all the same, and I could possibly reuse them. I have a rear wheel cylinder leaking now and was looking for rebuild kits and I see that the cylinders are actually all different. So what I am wondering, if any one knows off hand if the front brakes are better than the rears, and if they can be adapted using the parts I already have. If so I could rebuid all the front cylinders, and have the drums turned then switch it all over at one time.

No takers on this one? I figured somebody would at least tell me it's a waste of time, and that I should switch to Monte Carlo disks.

After doing all the research for my recent brake job, I would have to say no. No you wouldn't be able to just do a bolt on swap with your front wheel cyl. to the rear. On the other hand, you can do just about anything with the right tool, money, and time.
I would just buy a set of replacements and bolt in, done and won.
The reason I say no is because of the logic I was once told about not to long ago. The two brakes (front&back) were designed for different load, hence the difference in piston size. The front load is greater then the back load, design for proper distrubtion(load vs weight). I hope you get the big picture because the more I try to explain the more I'm going to not make sense.
Give the search function another try and I'm sure you'll find the proper text that will make sense to my non-sense.
I hope this helps ....

Chris

sorry for the hi-jack, but on a similar line, i was just wondering if it was possible to put the rear drum brake setup from a hilux surf or similar onto the rear axle of a '74 FJ40?

cheers Dave

as far as a bolt in swap it will work but the rear cylinders have 2 active pistons and the front have 1 . so im sure stopping power is affected . you can rebuild the rear cylinders in the truck so i cant see where you would save any time swapping out all those parts . rebuild or replace and be done good luck

sorry for the hi-jack, but on a similar line, i was just wondering if it was possible to put the rear drum brake setup from a hilux surf or similar onto the rear axle of a '74 FJ40?

cheers Dave

I have seen several guys who , in order to run non stock transfer cases, built centered rear axles using hilux axle tubes and shafts with a landcruiser differential. But I doubt there is any practical way to just adapt the brakes. Are't there some Holdens or something you can get disks from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom