Driveway resto: 1988 4x4 std cab "work truck" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After mistakenly thinking I'd get into the Suzuki Samurai build and flip biz, I traded a 88 Sammy that was rust-free, ran great, and I had already done some work to it for this pile:

3.jpg

4.jpg

No rust, "questionable" mods, especially wiring, a slight amount of body damage, and worst of all is a salvage title.

22RE, 5-speed, basic interior, etc. It had sat for 2 years in a field up in the mountains. After I drained the old gas and put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders, changed the oil, topped off the "coolant", cranked the engine to get the MMO gunk out, put the plugs back in and it fired right up. Gotta love it.

So far I've removed all the additional lighting mistakes, gutted the interior, acquired a better bench seat (getting it recovered), replaced the wheels with a set of black-painted Toyota SR5 alloys, flushed all the brake and clutch fluid, painted all the dash parts, fixed the balky door mechanism, removed the roll bar, put in a new battery, fixed the horn, refurbished the horn mechanism under the steering wheel, etc.

Found a replacement hood and drivers' fender. I'm a stickler for OEM parts, so Mike Bingham at Cabe Toyota in Long Beach has helped me source all kinds of new stuff for this truck. I ordered 6 cans of pre-mixed single-stage rattle can paint from a body shop paint supplier. Yes, I'm gonna rattle-can this truck. More to come.

Here's how it sits now

7.jpg

Painting the dash parts has been really easy. Hardest part was finding a close enough color. Another 'mudder had painted his dash with this same paint. I found it at Space Age Paint in Mesa AZ (same place that mixed the Toyota 033 in rattle cans), SEM Graphite 15303. It's a little darker than the original but since I'm painting everything who cares? There are several spots on the dash that need paint, then I removed everything I could and repainted it. Started with a adhesion promoter and then the paint:

These are all "after" pics, I'm terrible at taking pictures beforehand. Oh well.

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom