Drivers power window not working (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys

I replaced my driver's window motor assembly with Amazon product ASIN B01MRZI0N6 about 2 months ago and it's been operating great. Today after rolling the window all the way down it has completely stopped working. I can control all of the other windows in the vehicle from the drivers switch. I pulled the door apart and checked all of the connections, sadly it wasn't that easy of a fix. A few questioins:

1. EDIT - I wasn't touching the ground with my multimeter. I'm getting about 12v at the connector with the vehicle on.
2. I'm kind of clueless to begin troubleshooting this problem - any help would be appreciated
3 . Does anyone know how I can get my window up as a temp fix? I don't want to force the assembly up because it seems like that would be really hard on it.

Thanks everyone

Last edited:
Do you have the EWD/FSM? The troubleshooting information you need is in there. If not, download what you need from the Resources section.

If the problem is a dead motor, you can try to energize it directly from a 12VDC source. Maybe it'll stay where you leave it. If it works at all.

If the problem is a bad electrical connection, the above will do the trick.

If the problem isn't electrical, you'll have to determine what linkage problem(s) exist and fix that; it'll be obvious.

All of the above requires removal of the interior door panel.

Do you have the EWD/FSM? The troubleshooting information you need is in there. If not, download what you need from the Resources section.

If the problem is a dead motor, you can try to energize it directly from a 12VDC source. Maybe it'll stay where you leave it. If it works at all.

If the problem is a bad electrical connection, the above will do the trick.

If the problem isn't electrical, you'll have to determine what linkage problem(s) exist and fix that; it'll be obvious.

All of the above requires removal of the interior door panel.
Thanks man. I pulled the door panel and I have 12v at the connector, so it's getting juice. I ordered a new (new) motor and driver door master from amazon just to troubleshoot. The wiring all looks to be in decent shape and since it's gettering power I'd assume I got a bad motor when I replaced it or that my drivers master drivers window switch went bad. I hate firing the parts cannon, but it's gonna be rainy lol.

Have the same issue but mine is intermittent. Suspect a poor connection. Driver side window stopped working while 5 hours from home on a road trip. Luckily, slamming the driver side door fixed it temporarily so we could get the window up and continue the trip.

oddly enough my drivers window got stuck down yesterday. wouldnt go up even after bumping the door

i tested the switch and keep in mind you will get either +ve or -ve 12v when activating the switch (up or down) which mine was seeing but no response from the motor. The switch reverses the polarity dependant on window going up or down

I took the regulator out and removed the motor from the regulator. I then cleaned the brush contacts and the rotor with fine emery paper and it came back to life.
Whilst there i cleaned and silicone lubed the tracks and greased all the mechanical areas of the regulator, it now goes up & down very quickly so i guess ill be doing the other three

It doesnt take much carbon / dirt buildup on the brush/rotor area to stop the motor working so you may want to do what I did

this video shows how to clean the contacts etc

Last edited:
oddly enough my drivers window got stuck down yesterday. wouldnt go up even after bumping the door

i tested the switch and keep in mind you will get either +ve or -ve 12v when activating the switch (up or down) which mine was seeing but no response from the motor. The switch reverses the polarity dependant on window going up or down

I took the regulator out and removed the motor from the regulator. I then cleaned the brush contacts and the rotor with fine emery paper and it came back to life.
Whilst there i cleaned and silicone lubed the tracks and greased all the mechanical areas of the regulator, it now goes up & down very quickly so i guess ill be doing the other three

It doesnt take much carbon / dirt buildup on the brush/rotor area to stop the motor working so you may want to do what I did

this video shows how to clean the contacts etc

Ha, that's a pretty awesome how-to. I replaced the master switch with a new one and I was able to work all of the other windows, and locks, but the drivers still didn't work. I removed the arm/motor and gave it 12v - nothing not even a click. Being that it was a knock-off in the first place I'm pretty sure it's a dud window assembly. The only other thing I can think of is that pins on the vehicle side connector got fried. I can't fathom how that would be....The window worked one second, and absolutely didn't the next.

Defective motor. Replaced with a different one and it's working (for now). Fingers crossed that the junk yard has a new 80 in it after they crushed the one I was taking pieces off last fall .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom