Driver comfort (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=engjake link=board=1;threadid=5785;start=msg46609#msg46609 date=1065032696]
so no one has answered me, do you raise the seat with a spacer, or do I have to modify my seat rails by welding something?
[/quote]

I raised mine 1 1/2" and felt that a spacer was not stable enough, so I cut and drilled sections of square tubing to go between the existing brackets and the floor (or between the rail and the bracket on the rt ft corner mount). I also didn't have longer bolts in my bolt can. Seems like an inch spacer would work pretty well though. Get some solid round or square stock, cut to length and drill holes, then use longer bolts?

Woody, I looked at that link a while ago. It really has more to do with sand traction than anything else. What he does have about street traction refers to another article that is not present, as well as the card trick which is somewhat nebulous, but I have inferred from his conclusions that the 26 or 27 lbs in the manufacture (toyota) original specs is close to correct.

I happen to have the same springs Paulj is using, and I found they softened quickly. One trick Woody mentioned elsewhere from this thread, that I feel was very helpful, was to double nut lock the shackle nuts a bit loose (instead of cranking down on the lock washers). This assures that the shackles swing freely as they are intended. My ride was much stiffer until I did this.

Woody asked about Paulj's shocks, which are Rancho 6000s, and he (Woody) didn't elaborate. I know Bailey said that they won't affect stiffness, but wouldn't they soften some of the blow depending on the quality? I have ProComps, which were disparaged in a thread on the ChitChat forum. (IIRC, Junk called them the "Land Rovers of Shocks" or something like that.)

I wonder whether it would be worth upgrading to OME shocks for me or Paulj. Any opinions? Woody?

My spring a stiff as...well they're stiff to. I'm actually thinking of going with coilovers down the road. For me though, I'm not real tall, only 5'6" and I also drive a 60 too, so I can't relate to the 40s. Toyota did make suspension seat for the 60 series, but not available in the states. Mike Bingham can get non-US parts, but I beat the seats are a lot of $$$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom