Driveline noise/vibration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning all!

I have a 2008 4Runner with 200k that developed a vibration and noise from 20mph+. The noise/vibration started out of no where in traffic. Noise/Vibration is RPM independent and is present whether in drive or neutral (under load or coasting). I would almost describe it a a roar from the rear dif. Strangely, the noise and vibration disappears when making a right turn, but is present when making a left turn.

To test, I removed the rear driveshaft and drove up to 60mpg. In FWD mode, there is no noise or vibration under load/acceleration however is present under deceleration(engine braking).

Front/rear drive shafts and ujoins have been greased and are tight. Both rear outer rear axle bearings have been replaced (fluid replaced as well). Dif pinion does have a small amount of backlash, but nothing more than what I'd expect from a 200k rear axle.

I installed a 3" lift in late december. I replaced LCAs, UCAs (cheap KSP uppers), front/rear sway bar linkages, ball joins, Bilstean 6xxx fronts, 5xxx rears. The driver CV joint had a bad habbit of self-disassembling when left hanging (I anticipated replacing both CVs and front wheel bearings later this year fwiw.) Wheels and tires were balanced by a low end local shop.

I can't think of anything else to add, but will answer any questions if someone has an idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom