Drill press stand recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've been acquiring some "shop" (its a basement work space) upgrades lately and the newest is a 1960's Craftsman 150 drill press. A neighbor was giving it away, so I figured why not. The thing is, its a tank. Its a bench model and takes up a bit too much of my bench so I am looking for recommendations on a floor stand for it. What are people using for tool stands? There is a harbor freight in town so I have that option, but reviews seem questionable as always. The press is around 80-100lbs so I need something sturdy.

I was thinking something like a universal stand for now:
bf950b1910be47e5b530a87b75eb90b9.jpg

on a slightly different note, what I've done with several of my power tools (drill press, bandsaw, welder etc) is to put them on wheeled carts so I can move them around the shop and store them out of the way when unused. And still have storage space around and underneath the tool too on the cart itself.

IMO, a benchtop drill press on a stand of adequate footprint and weight to not easily tip over takes up significantly more room than a floor style drill press.

I have a steel rolling cart that weighs around 300 pounds with 6" casters for easy rolling. There's a benchtop drill press and a sensi-threader bolted to it. I can roll the cart next to a machine to run 2nd ops as parts come off.

If I just needed a drill press to drill things without taking up valuable space I would definitely go for the floor style drill press.

Another option is to make a bracket and bolt your benchtop drill press to a wall, but the inflexibility of a decision like that usually leads to regret.

I agree it is nice to have something on wheels. I built something like a rolling cabinet with drawers and storage underneath. The foot print is a little larger than the drill press itself. But is is nice having storage right underneath.

Along those lines, FWIW, I see rail bed frames given away for free on Craigslist all the time, so that's pretty much an inexhaustible supply of light angle iron, the perfect material for (lighter duty) carts, and a great opportunity to practice fun welding. We all probably have some leftovers plywood or MDF sheet bits so the only thing to buy would be casters if you don't have some laying around already, and if you want a cart made to measure. On the casters, I have seen that it is often cheaper to buy a whole mover dolly on sale at HF than to buy lighter duty (cr@p) casters separately, so that's a good source of casters for me...

Thanks everyone. I put it on an old tool cart I found at a thrift shop a while back for now. I agree that something that can support this would have a large footprint for sure.
1681082705277.png

As far as bench drill presses go this thing in HUGE. I would love to find a floor stand for it at some point. Here it is next to an older harbor freight special that a neighbor gave me

1681082790897.png

If you are struggling with room you could sell one of those drill presses?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom