Domed top pistons in a flat top piston engine? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stick to the service manual specs on those rings - aftermarket rings are commonly off a bit and I don't give ***** what the machine shop claims as to lapping rings in a controlled manner to make them all identical - I always check ring gaps . Rebuilding my last Suzuki engine took 5 separate kits to get a set that fit all 4 pistons - it's rare to see one of those engines hit the magic compression pressure specs , that one was dead-nutz on spec at 200psi cold , perfect . I always had to fight with customers and rebuilt engines that were broke in properly and were well below wearout spec in the service manual (170psi) - it results in a weak engine that my carb setups could never help . Telling them their new engine was junk produced some serious Sh** Storms with the rebuilders , some of them reputable vendors from out forums . It's all about paying attention to those specs and stick to it - otherwise you'll regret it later with an engine that is either weak , burns oil or won't last nearly as long as it should .

Ok , rant off....

Sarge

Thanks Jim and Sarge, appreiciate the advice and rant. It's part of what makes mud the gold mine it is for many of us!!
Back down to the machine shop I go.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom