1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Your Rear Door Hang Low?

Discussion in 'FJ Cruiser' started by Michael1, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Michael1

Michael1

I noticed that the rear door hinges are not aligned very well, and the rear door hangs low at the latch side. There is a V-block on the door which slides over a pin on the body. When closing the door, the V-block lifts the door about 1/8 inch so it aligns properly with the latch above it. It increases the door closing effort quite a bit.

Anyone else notice their door low? Can the hinges be adjusted at the body? I see four bolts on the top hinge to body mounting but don't know if there is any slotting.

Michael

2. Runner Ryan

Runner Ryan

I have also noticed the rear door hanging low. I'm sure it will get worse over time.:rolleyes:

3. hotumps

hotumps

Doors are adjustable

You can adjust any door. How old is your FJ. Do you still have the whiner warranty? If so, go to the dealer and get it adjusted, thats what the warranty is for. If not download a service manual off one of the sites and it will show you how you can do it.

4. Michael1

Michael1

I just went to the dealer today. I found another FJ with the door low at the latch. On a second FJ, the alignment was fine. I don't know who is hanging these doors at the plant, but they need to look into this. I'm going to adjust this as soon as I can get a service manual, so the stress on the hinge doesn't loosen it up.

Michael

5. TrAiLbUs1

TrAiLbUs1

Does your door hang low, does it wobble to and fro, can you tie it in a knot, can you tie it in a bow???sorry, i could'nt resist, my door looks centered.:grinpimp:

6. LandCruisers4Life

LandCruisers4Life

Media:
    Albums:
    My door is perfect. I guess it wasn't Friday in Japan when mine was built :D

7. mapleton cruiser

mapleton cruiser

8. Michael1

Michael1

I haven't heard that one in a while! :)

A friend and I adjusted the door. There turned out to be two problems. The hinges were not adjusted correctly so the right side hung low. Then we found the latch striker was too high relative to the V-block. We adjusted both, and what a difference! The door closes with no hangups whatsoever. It did take about an hour. I can't imagine any dealer taking the kind of care we did in adjusting it, and getting it to work as smoothly.

Michael

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">