Does running in 2 low cause any issues? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, technically, you're putting more torque to the rear axle than you would normally be, but as several people pointed out, you're usually doing it on easier sections of trail, so I don't think that's an issue.

Even in 2HI, low gear on my sm420 is lower (more torque) than stock Lo/Lo. Combine that with coarse-spline axles, a welded diff, and a habit of running only in 2wd (for lack of PS) and I'm probably asking for trouble, but no problems yet.

For all the potential drawbacks, I think it's better than the driveline bind from maneuvering with the front axle engaged on any kind of tractive surface.

yeah i do it with a h41 (is that the non us 4 speed with lower 1st)?

Is this possible with the 1973 3 Speed from an FJ40?
Cause it sounds cool.

player said:
Is this possible with the 1973 3 Speed from an FJ40?
Cause it sounds cool.

Yes. IIRC, you have a floor shifter for the tcase, right? Then you should only have to remove the piece of the sheet metal on the tranny hump that prevents the shifter from completing the full "H" pattern.

I'm sure someone has pictures and a better description, but since mine's dash-shifted, I only sorta paid attention...

Yes, floor shift. So this 2 Low seems very possible... some one should make a replacement knob to reflect the difference. :p If I break something with the "gobs" of torque, are they repair/replaceable?

I have always wondered if this could be done. I'm glad to see that a lot of people have this mod. It seems to be just as good as a twin shift but w/out the cost.

My question is: Do you have to be careful not to knock the T/C from 2-Hi to 2-Low at high speeds or will it just be knocked into neutral (I have a big clumsy lab that likes to ride shotgun)?

jcj_78FJ40 said:
I have always wondered if this could be done. I'm glad to see that a lot of people have this mod. It seems to be just as good as a twin shift but w/out the cost.

My question is: Do you have to be careful not to knock the T/C from 2-Hi to 2-Low at high speeds or will it just be knocked into neutral (I have a big clumsy lab that likes to ride shotgun)?

will go to neutral first then 2low if it's still being pushed... but it'll just make a graunch... i find mine with constant pressure on it (i.e. when driving, not coasting) won't shift easily anyway.

anything can be fixed or replaced player...

ah, I figured you guys would say that. But i mean, to stock condition? I dont want my resto ending up with new axles. :-D

ummm no, replacement axles it is

but hey, you can use ones from the same year

So go find some second hand ones? Hmm... do I really need to be aggressive it to break it, or will normal driving break it. I know result will differ, but you opinion please. :)

i'm not kind to mine in 2wd low.. it's a full floater rear diff, but the semi floaters are pretty tuff.

i mean i'll dial up 4000rpm and sidestep the clutch in 2wd low 1st and i haven't broken anything yet (so i'm trying to lay rubber, sue me)... not saying it won't happen, but if your gentle on the throttle, you won't break stuff.

i've broken more abusin it in high range.... driveshaft + uni joint +output shaft on t case + cracked diff pinion

sonoran, i'm pretty easy on the skinny pedal and its been fine so far, i really like 2lo for takin it easy, i can see a problem with the extra torque on the case if you get a little nutty, but, go easy.

stomp it then fix it

Just a differnt type of rhino, sorry couldn't help it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom