Do you use the cheap clear plastic covers for your LED offroad lights? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I have a set of these Chinese 9" LED spotlights from Amazon. They seem well built and extremely bright (best $200 I've spent on a mod :) ) ... However they came with some clear, protective covers...

I'm not a huge fan of how the covers make the lights look, makes them look kind of cheap IMO... They way they make the black surround all shiny looking and stuff. I'm curious how necessary they are? Has anyone ever had a rock on the highway or something take out one of your lights?

Torn whether I should just take'm off and toss them, or leave them... What do you guys think?

Here's a couple pics, with and without...

Thanks!

20170818_154158_Richtone(HDR).jpg
20170623_142802_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Last edited:
What I think is that your entire 4wd is way too shiny to have to worry about ever seeing dirt or rocks :)

I've never bothered with light covers etc. If a light ever gets broken, just replace it. In years of driving gravel roads for 1000's of miles (oncoming traffic etc), I've never had a broken light. Maybe the occasional wind screen chip, but that's it.

cheers,
george.

I've busted more tail light lenses (2) than lights up front on ARB or roof rack (0). Tail light damage from rocks bouncing off a now sold trailer so that ought to put an end to that! I thought about covers for my new Lifetime LED light bars, but they don't make them for the single stack bars. I'd have considered one for the led bar on the front bumper, but not the ones up on the roof rack.

If you'd feel more 'comfortable' just do it!. :)

lol, its the joy of having a white truck... There are many "rocky mountain pinstripes" and small dings/dents... It's been offroad quite a bit, however the white just hides the damage really well. :) That being said, since I got the tires/bumper on it has not been offroad, no time/money at the moment, probably be parked in my driveway for the most part till next year.

I have some major projects at work this year that basically are chewing up all my spare time this summer/year, so I figured I'd just divert all my extra money into mods this year, since I don't have the time to do any actual wheeling this summer.

That being said, it's not a mall cruiser, the only on-road driving it's used for is driving to/from shops and places to go offroading. I bought it for almost exclusive offroad use. The Acura behind my truck is my daily driver. :)

Glad to hear you haven't had any problems with rocks breaking lights, I've personally never heard of anyone having that problem, but I figured these lights came with the covers, so may as well consider using them... but yeah, I think I'll just toss'm and replace a light on the odd chance one actually gets damaged, I just can't stand that shiny look the covers give the light bezels. :)

Thanks again for the input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom