Do my brakes need work? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m struggling to decide if I need do to some brake work or if this is just normal behavior for a loaded up 80?

If I’m rolling through my neighborhood at 2-3 mph and then stomp on the brakes hard, the truck takes a good 5ft to stop. There have been a few cases where I started to roll through a stop sign only to see a car coming and then try to stop and end up a few feet into the intersection. This seems to be the worse when the brakes are cold. I also stayed at a cabin recently with a very steep driveway. I couldn’t stop on the way down (brakes were cold) without shifting to low and using engine braking. Kinda scary. Is this normal?

The truck has a new master cylinder, new front calipers, new pads, new front rotors. It’s also got some extra weight via front/rear bumpers, sliders and winch.

Was the braking made worse after the new components (mainly master cylinder and calipers??). Also who did the work? I feel like a lot of people have difficulty properly bleeding the braking system. You may have a small amount of air trapped in the lines somewhere. A trick that you should try is to go find a dirt road and engage the ABS system (go fast and slam brakes to try and slip a wheel..) ABS system will need to engage to properly bleed the system.

For me, I feel like the braking is fine on my 80. I've only really driven Toyota trucks/SUV's in my life and it is about the same as past trucks. If you're used to driving an Audi though (in your sig), it might seem like something is wrong but it is just the difference between a heavy 90's SUV vs a new sports car.

X2 on the bleeding properly. What size tires are you running? When I went to 35’s I tried everything to get my brakes working properly. I eventually deleted my abs and my brakes work great now. Just fyi

Not normal. I have ABS but deleted the LSPV. Did you bleed the LSPV?

What brand and type of pads and rotors were used?

I recently threw on some cheap O'Reillys ceramics and they suck massively.

Also be sure you properly bed the brakes. Makes a huge difference.

That is not normal and is downright dangerous. If it were me, I would not drive that vehicle until I got the brakes working properly.

thanks all. Tire size is ~34 (BFG 295s). The work was done before I got the vehicle so I’m not sure about most of it. They certainly may not be OEM pads/rotors although the master cycling is Aisin. And no, I haven’t bled anything myself yet. I will look into the ABS delete, ensure at least the pads are OE because I’ve also had bad experiences with non-OE pads and give it a good bleed.

I would assume so, it's new. Under normal driving the truck stops fine and I don't notice anything unusual. It's really only on very steep downhills (like a 15% driveway), mashing the pedal quickly at slow speeds, and emergency stopping kind of situations where it just doesn't seem to have the braking power one would expect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom