do-it-yourself garage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello to everyone,

I decided to dedicate my first post to something more far reaching than my current problem… I mean project…

I am, for all practical purposes, I complete noob at all of this, and to make matters worse, the little knowledge that I have is not in English, i.e., I don’t know the English names of most parts. I do have the manuals and look at them though.

On the upside, I’m ready and willing to learn. I have my truck and it needs (cheap) fixing (or else my wife will have me sell my toy), that’s a start, right?. On the other hand, I’ve no repair equipment and not even a drive way.

My questions:

1. In NYC, is there anything like a “do-it-yourself garage” where you could rent time/space, tools, lift, etc. Much like what Tom and Ray Magliozzi, from NPR “Car Talk” had when they started:
(http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=2100834)

2. In the city, how likely am I to get I ticket for going the “shade tree mechanic” route? Is, for example, tweaking under your car more likely to be tolerated than tweaking under your car while it’s lifted on jack stands?

3. Does anybody have an interest in looking into how such a “do-it-yourself garage” could be started? It might actually be a good business idea even. Or maybe a coop like the food coops, hmmm, just thought of that, really...

TIA

P.S. I saw that there’s another, more active local forum on Yahoo, and I’ll post there too, once I get to open an account.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom