do birdfields thunk?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lockd80

Totally right
Threads
When doing a low speed slalom I have a definate thunk from the left front. Not the clicking of a bad CV but a thunk that I can feel thru the floor under kinda hard left turns. What should I check first?

I do not know if it is related but my brakes are acting like the pads are being pushed out. After a long straight road with no stops I have to pump the pedal about a half pump to get a good pedal.

Thanks,
Mark

Check wheel bearings, trunion bearing, and tie rod ends first. Also make sure that the caliper bolts, stearing knuckle bots and nuts are all torqued to spec.

When doing a low speed slalom I have a definate thunk from the left front. Not the clicking of a bad CV but a thunk that I can feel thru the floor under kinda hard left turns. What should I check first?

My first check would be the torque on the radius arm bolts and sway bar bushings.

I do not know if it is related but my brakes are acting like the pads are being pushed out. After a long straight road with no stops I have to pump the pedal about a half pump to get a good pedal.

Thanks,
Mark

That sounds like a loose wheel bearing.

Does it happen when you're in a left hand turn and hit a depression in the pavement that quickly unloads and reloads the left side?

Does it happen when you're in a left hand turn and hit a depression in the pavement that quickly unloads and reloads the left side?

I can make it happen on flat pavement by just slaloming right to left hard enough to get some good body sway/weight transfer to the left front tire.

Check your sway bar connections too.

Thanks guys your the best.

I was thinking the brake issue was bearings also, I noticed the right side seemed a little loose the other day so I checked it and found about .020 of end play, I have not checked the left side yet but I could not feel any play with it jacked up and the tire on. I will do a proper check next.

Do bad bearings thunk? I think I have multiple problems:rolleyes:.

I have never done bearings on this before, do I need to order a gasket for the cover before i start? Is it possible to tighten the nut with channel locks or do I need to buy a 54mm socket? I looked in FAQ and read the birdfeild rebuild writeup but was wondering if there was a thread on just repacking the front bearings and just checking and adjusting?

I had a similar sound that ended up being the radius arm bolts as others have mentioned.

I had a similar sound that ended up being the radius arm bolts as others have mentioned.

I bet it didn't cause the brakes to need to be pumped up.

Pull the pads, maybe they're worn unevenly, which would back up the bearing theory.

Could also be two seperate problems, but coincidences like that are rare, especially if the brakes only need to be pumped when you hear the clunk, or turn sharply.

-Spike

drove all around town today looking for a 54mm socket to tighten my bearings and could not find one. Any suggestions?

Somemone mentioned that sears had a 2 1/8" socket that worked. Just measured my 54 mm hub socket as well, and 2 1/8" looks golden. I've been wanting to upgrade my junky 54 mm socket as well, just not built well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom