Dizzy orientation? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After a long process to fix a massive hesitation issue that included installation of a new Pertronix ignition, the truck is all timed and runs great. (The hesitation problem was not ignition related.)

Unfortunately I now have a distributor that isn't lined up properly to the engine case. The #1 & #6 plug wires are very tight, and one of the cap clips is right next to the engine block. I think it was at about 1 o'clock originally (the engine being noon).

To me it looks like the dizz housing needs to be rotated clockwise about 30 degrees.

At first I thought I could just remove the dizz (being careful to maintain rotor to cap alignment) turn it 30 degrees and put it back. But then I noticed the oil pump key that looks like it will only let you put the dizz in 2 ways---180 degrees apart.

Anyone know what I might have done to mis-align the dizz housing and what I can do to sort it out?

My Cruiser is an FJ40 built in 6/71.

Thanks.

If I understand you correctly and your ignition is set up the same as my '78 2F:

Put the #1 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke (both valves closed), then rotate the rotor to the #1 wire on the dizzy and then insert your dizzy. The oil pump key should be in the right orientation to engage.

IIRC, the vacuum diaphragm is sort of pointing to the PS front corner of the truck when it is in the correct position.

Hope this helps.

Are you sure that the wires are in the correct positions on the cap?

Turn oil pump with a long flat screw driver.

Thanks guys.

Kevin, it runs to well to have a plug wire issue. And the timing was set and still looks good with the timing light.

Shark, your idea sounds good. Didn't know if the pump drive was turntable by hand. Can I assume a trial and error process (trying to get the cam gear to mesh AND the pump key to line up) . Or is there a trick to it?

Whoops....hit wrong key on phone.

Have it pointing towards 4th cylinder
If I remember correctly, slightly towards #3.

Yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom