DIY - Dash Replacement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well everyone... my used GX never got the dash replaced, so eventually I want to get it done.

The part itself (55401-60926-C0 for black dash) is $620 before tax. I've done some searching on here, but can't find any write up on how to replace it yourself. Anecdotally, I've seen comments about it being "easy" and a few hours of work. Reality for a novice wrencher like myself, probably a good chunk of work.

Anyhow, anyone who's done it themselves have any pointers???

Thanks,
Greg

Honestly, I would not go into it with the expectation that the results will be 100% perfect. That said, I have not done it myself. The dealership did mine and it took them two full days and I had to bring it back four times after that to try to have them fix various pieces of trim that they broke in the process. In retrospect I should have just left it alone and got a dashmat. Take a look at the instructions, it is very involved. If you have the time and can work carefully, I think you could get it done in a couple days but all of that old plastic is fragile and something will probably break.

It's not tough. I replaced my evaporator a couple years ago and did a write-up, here:
AC evaporator removal, anyone done this?

You'll only refer to a small portion of that write-up, but it will help you out. You'll need the interior trim removal tools and a 10mm socket. You'll have to remove the side vents, stereo, center vents, dash speaker and a few other things.

You'll probably want a helper to get the dash out since it's large and bulky, then have your helper assist with the installation of the new dash, getting it seated properly, etc. I imagine it could be swapped in a few hours.

thanks for the input! i mean, i think that people's experiences with this have varied... if i had to pay the dealership to do it, i would probably pass, but for about $600 and some elbow grease, it seems worth it to me!

kwkshift, i'll read through your writeup, thanks!

... I imagine it could be swapped in a few hours.

The Lexus dealership has the white GX in for a dash replacement for a week now...
I hope they don't trap any crickets.

The Lexus dealership did a number on my dash vents, especially the one to the right of the Nav screen. It's a $1250.00 part from Lexus, and usually $200 from the scrappers, but I managed to score one for $110 shipped. Just be very, very cautious and deliberate when removing them and they'll come off whole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom