DIY Chainsaw sharpening angle guide (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
Yes, my file holder has a tiny mark to show the 30 deg angle for sharpening. Not too visible, even when highlighted because it's pretty small and the direction is not very natural (needs to be held parallel to the bar).

So, I was trying to come up with something to do instead of paperwork and I also have just ordered another chainsaw so naturally had to build something chainsaw-related so here we go:

Adjustable, very visible, 10 mins job for somebody reasonably fast (20+ for me). Made from scraps. Had I had a wide angle bar that I would be willing to sacrifice it would have been faster still.

I think this will help. If I put the bar in a vise to sharpen it I won't even need the clamp. Bonus, if I clamp it high enough it also supports the chain laterally, which is great when the groove is worn and the chain is otherwise flopping about. I may also stick a magnet under there to collect metal dust on top. And yes, if you look at the cutters you will see that I am a bit of an overenthusiastic sharpener so just feeding the habit even more, I guess...

Unfortunately, that also showed me that my bar is not quite as straight as I had assumed... oh well...

E9999_6826.JPG

E9999_6828.JPG

Last edited:
^ I have several, depending on what I need to do. Stihl, Echo... Used to have some Huskys also. All are pretty much equally good.

The guide is working quite well actually, much easier to keep to the desired angle. Helps to have several lines, too, it goes faster. Also helps to keep the file horizontal. I also found I don't need to switch sides with the guide. Even fits on the baby 10"er with the help of an old Athol:

IMG_4563.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom