Ditch rear axle seals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.ginglesinspections.com
So my rear axle started oozing the other day on the 80 after not driving it for over a year. I just realized that a lot of 80 owners run the rear hubs without the axle grease seal and let the diff oil lube the wheel bearings. Does anyone here do that? My next question is how do you pre-lube the bearings during assembly without making a huge mess or do you just jack up a side at a time when filling the diff?

I could do a little more research but it’s late :cool:

Check out MadMatt4wd on YouTube. He made a video about this very thing... if I can find it, I’ll post it.

I've been running that way for 6 years or so. i use light wheel bearing grease to start. like a light pack and slap it all together. I grew up around 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. they all just let axle oil lube the bearings. fill points are above the lower I'd of the tube so they stay pretty full of oil.

no issues yet.

Thanks a lot!
I would take it to a sidehill and let it sit for a few minutes with each side down hill to allow it to fill the hubs.

I failed to do that on a GM 3/4T because I failed to grease the bearings and I smoked the rear hubs and spindles in one mile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom