Dissent Roof Rack Review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After receiving countless messages regarding the Dissent Roof Rack, I felt like it might be useful to just do a post regarding it. Yes there is a general Dissent thread, but I felt like this discussion could be productive outside of that large thread.

I picked the rack because
a) I also wanted their bumpers
b) I am close enough for them to install
c) One of the lower profile options out there
b) Seemed very adaptable to all sorts of cargo

After 1.5 years wit hit, I can confidently say that there isn't another rack I'd rather have. It has supported just about everything but a roof top tent, as I have not gone down that road. With minimal use of some right angle brackets, I have been able to mount anything my trips have needed.

The most unanticipated praise of the rack came recently from a windshield replacement tech. He loved how easy it was to take off the wind fairing and front part of the side rails as it made replacement much easier. He said many times, they have had to remove racks to accomplish the install.

Below I'll post a bunch of different uses and angles of the rack. Please ask questions for what needs more clarification.
IMG_5070.jpg

IMG_5067.jpg

IMG_5062.jpg

IMG_4576.jpg

IMG_4394.jpg

With 4 2x2 angle brackets, I was able to mount a 100 watt renogy solar panel in a position that still allows me full use of the rack when needed.

IMG_5252.jpg

IMG_5254.jpg

Two 2x1 brackets made it easy to mount my maxtrax.

IMG_5272.jpg

IMG_5273.jpg

IMG_5278.jpg

There are two main downsides i can see.
1) The crossbars are not adjustable. You can order more bars and put them anywhere that they can fit, but you do not have the infinitely adjustability that some may offer. his hasn't really been a problem for me, although maybe some of the mounting solutions could have been more elegant.
2) I could really use a basket in one of the "spots" of the rack for stuff like firewood. Still trying to come up with a clean solution for the spot seen below.

IMG_5458.jpg

Two more random shots
IMG_5463.jpg

IMG_5942.jpg

Thanks for posting up the review and pictures.

Any idea if Ben ships these yet? 🤔
I'll let him or someone who has had one shipped confirm that. But from my talks with him, just saw him a month ago for something else, I would guess he is shipping them.

I called the other day to get some quotes. They offered to ship them to Canada for me...along with all the other things I need. Give them a call. I was just trying to get a budget together, but it sounds like they will ship them.

Someone asked about those damn MPG's. Well, with the stainless bud built skids and steel bud built sliders I can squeak out 14 mpg if i keep it under 70.

Last weekend I topped off with a jerry can (which reset the computer) before towing my small offroad trailer 5 miles out of a canyon in 4lo. This was the result of that....

IMG_7105.jpg

When I was up at Dissent 6 months ago, I saw these on their shop 200 and I finally got around to trying them out. As someone who puts a lot up on the roof, it sure makes packing/unpacking a much more pleasant experience.

I attached them using existing bolts for a drama free install.

Amazon product ASIN B07F2NH8MX
IMG_7837.jpg
IMG_7839.jpg

When I was up at Dissent 6 months ago, I saw these on their shop 200 and I finally got around to trying them out. As someone who puts a lot up on the roof, it sure makes packing/unpacking a much more pleasant experience.

I attached them using existing bolts for a drama free install.

Amazon product ASIN B07F2NH8MX
View attachment 2699232View attachment 2699233
Whoa, those are neat and talk about a timely post, I was cussing out my old beat up ratchet straps just the other day.

How is the wind noise?

Obviously I don’t have direct comparison with other racks, but the wind noise is very low.

I just meant compared to the stock rack, but good to know it is low. I assumed it would be with that nice wind faring.

I just meant compared to the stock rack, but good to know it is low. I assumed it would be with that nice wind faring.
Yeah, actually had some coworkers in the car the other day comment on how quiet the ride was.

Just bought a renogy panel to put on my dissent rack as well....how's it been holding up for you?
Pretty good. I need to debug it, because I usually max out around 50 watts. I think it is the controller rather than a damaged panel. But I have never ran out of battery capacity, so it's low on my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom