Difference between D & E Load Rating Tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed that BF - AT T/A KO tires are now available in 2 different load ratings (D the common one and the new one is: E).

Can anyone please help explain if there are any disadvantages in going with the E rather than the D rating ?

Thanks

Al

Thanks but I already have done the search and I came across the the thread you provided earleir and it does not mention anything about E rating, only C & D load rating.

Hope you can help me further.

Thanks again

Do a search, I've only explained it about 5 times in the last two months.

Hi Cary - I have done so for the last 2.5 hours and the only thing I came across is that E rating may handle a better load weight than the D rating.

Kindly if you can point me to one of your threads in which you have explained in greater detail the difference I will be most appreciative.

ThanksAl

E rating will just be more rough on the road than D rating, if you inflate it to the higher pressures it should hand more load.

Is that what you were looking for?

E rating will just be more rough on the road than D rating, if you inflate it to the higher pressures it should hand more load.

Is that what you were looking for?

Yes, I wanted to know if the ride will be the same or not knowing that the E rating also is 33" vs. 32.8" for the D rating (not much of a difference if you ask me).

I know this type of tire is suited for my needs and I was not aware of the E rating availability before.

Hope someone out there is currently using E rated BFG's. that can provide some feed back if they were running D rated in the past.

Thanks

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=126194

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=111671

The short answer is the ride will be rougher with an "E" tire because the sidewall is heavier to allow for higher inflation pressures which in turn allows for higher inflation pressures. Additionally, the tire compounding is different, presumably harder to resist heat buildup, but the consequence is the E rated BFG A/T looses the severe snow rating the D rated tire has.

There is no point in running an E rated tire over a D rated tire on the LC except for the small potential increase in sidewall protection (minimal). You get no increase in load capacity out of the E rated tire unless you run it at greater than 65psi, and it will have less traction.

Thanks Carey and I appreciate your feed back as usual, your answer above sums up what I was looking for.

Thanks again

Al.

I've been running E load tires for some time. No problems at all in heavy snow and ice, and that includes thousands of km of high speed driving in deep snow. Some mild off road work as well. I have no complaints of any kind.

I've been running E load tires for some time. No problems at all in heavy snow and ice, and that includes thousands of km of high speed driving in deep snow. Some mild off road work as well. I have no complaints of any kind.

Well, that is nice, but it doesn't change the fact that the "D" rated tire is approved as a Severe Snow Rated by the Rubber Manufactures Association, while the "E" rated tire in this size does not. While you may feel they work fine and have not had any problem, in objective testing there is enough of a traction difference that the "E" rated tire does not get the approval.

http://www.tirerack.com/tire-12/BFGoodrich/All-Terrain+T%2FA+KO.shtml

Just to get some input. I bought a 2010 FJC and with the TRD package it comes with BFG 265/75/16 AT/KO "E" rated tires. I live in Maui so the snow rating is no big deal. But isn't it weird that Toyota is putting "E" rated tires on a 4000 lb vehicle???

I think E is 10 pyl, and D is 8ply, My sweet new Michelins LTX M/S2 285/75/16 are 10 ply "E"

I have E rated Duratracs (obviously not BFG) and they haven't bothered me a bit on road, really solid actually

D is 8 ply tire
E is 10 ply tire

E will be a little stiffer on the road. Won't flex as good (hardly noticeable though)
E can inflate to a higher psi and will also be better for towing.

I think E is 10 pyl, and D is 8ply, My sweet new Michelins LTX M/S2 285/75/16 are 10 ply "E"

Ultimately, this is why I decided to go for the "E" rated tires...

I have 285/70 R17 E rated tires on my Silverado and I have noticed a different feel from my previous 285/70 R17 D rated tires... I'm not sure if I'd go so far as to say it has less traction, but when going around turns at speed when the road is rough, it does seem to "feel" like it's "skipping" a bit, if that makes sense.

On the LC with the heavier and more distributed weight I don't notice it at all...

Looking back I'd do the same thing and get the E rated tires, but I'll have a better feel for this after this years ski season...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom