Diff case bearing seat or seal problem, fixable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_6390.JPG
IMG_6391.JPG
After spending a bit of time cleaning one of the diffs I'll be using for my build, I noticed a bit of a problem...

Can this be fixed or is the case toast?
If I lived on the mainland it wouldn't be a big deal, I'd just get a replacement.
But being on the Big Island and their scarce here & shipping on will be a bit spends.

I just knocked the bearing race out of the other diff case & realized it not the bearing race seat.

Is this for the pinion shaft seal?

Cheers, Allen

IMG_6392.JPG

Guess I am missing what the issue is here.

The first step, from the companion flange side of the diff inward, is the pinion seal seating surface.
Nothing looks out of line with that.

Second step is the machining area for the oil to feed the outer pinion bearing.
Nothing out of line here.

Third step/machining area is where the outer pinion bearing race is seated. Does the race fall out from that bore after you drive it in?

What exactly is the issue?

Are you talking about that little area on the inner part of the first step that is marred up a bit on the third picture?

If so, do not sweat it.

Run it.

OK, thanks guys, I thought the machined area for the oil to feed the outer pinion bearing was a problem (I only know what that section is for because Poser just explained it).
I didn't know what that area was for, so when noticed the scoring or rough machining, I thought that was a section that should be nice and smooth. Duh!

Cheers, Allen

Thanks, I ended up not being able to find a FJ40 to work from over here on the Big Island, but fell into a Land Rover 69' Series IIA SWB that I'm putting modified FJ60 axles and diffs under. It's a pretty extensive build. I have a FB page telling a bit about it: 69' Series IIA Build.

Cheers, Allen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom