Diesel smoke (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 75 HJ45 is tough to start...mutiple cycles of glow plug. Decided to try some injector cleaner...first time after adding it I've got black smoke while accelerating...I'm hoping that's due to some cleaning going on but can anyone share their thoughts on this...I'm thinking to run at least a 1/4 tank of fuel to see if it stops

Sounds like you had clogged injectors to begin with and probably poorly functioning glow plugs and your diesel cleaner is doing what it is supposed to be doing. Would recommend you change both the air filter (now) and fuel filters when you run the tank out and see if it is still blowing black smoke.
In the meantime you can test your glow plugs by attaching a multi meter after you disconnect the lead and test for resistance. It is not a 100% test but a good indication of your glow plugs are working.

Last edited:
Sounds like you had clogged injectors to begin with and probably poorly functioning glow plugs and your diesel cleaner is doing what it is supposed to be doing. Would recommend you change both the air filter (now) and fuel filters when you run the tank out and see if it is still blowing black smoke.
In the meantime you can test your glow plugs by attaching a multi meter after you disconnect the lead and test for resistance. It is not a 100% test but a good indication of your glow plugs are working.
Thanks so much...just what I was thinking. I've checked the glow plugs and they all test good...I've got a new fuel filter on the way and I'll change the air filter. Hoping this improves starting...I'm in Florida USA so I wouldn't expect the glow plugs to the problem...never a "cold" start here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom