Diesel Conversion on Gas LC 200... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
...Now that I have your attention, I'm looking for some thoughts...

I love my 5.7 Petrol, but have always wanted a diesel. I've seen conversions done on 80s and 40s all kinds...I'm just wondering what would be involved in swapping the 5.7 with the 4.5 TTD? It looks as if the transmission is the same, so I'm just dreaming it would be as simple as the motor, rad, & intercooler.

Does anyone have any experience on engine swaps? Where would I start my queries about getting some sort of Toyota crate motor, or the motor out of the Australian LC (they do make it)? What would costs be...$10,000, 15,000, more? Would changes need to be made to the fuel supply system? Would the motor mounts work? What are traditional issues that come up with these swaps? How hard could this actually be?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm in no rush, nor do I think I'm serious at this point, but thought if I could put some information together, it may be an easier proposition than first assumed.

To give everyone a little insight of where I'm coming from...I've been looking for an older diesel LC for 6 months. Everything I find that is Left Hand Drive is so old, and all the Right Hand Drive are minimum 15 yrs old (and way wonky). I don't have a budget, as I am just looking, but what I am finding is a minimum $5000 - $7500 initial investment, with an additional $2500 - $5000 investment to make it a sweet drive. If I'm gonna spend close to $12,500 on an additional car, I almost rather just put that into the 1 cruiser I have. If this total swap was a $12,500 proposition, I may be interested?

Your nuts!

j/k I have no advise for you...

The 4.5TTD would likely be US$12.5k by itself landed in North America.

Not impossible, but it would be a real pain in the backside. With the cheap price of gas in the US, why would you want an oil burner?

ECUs will all need to changed (there are a lot more electronics in the 200 than previous cruisers), engine mounts may be different, fuel tank, pumps and lines are different too. I don't remember off-hand, but gear ratios may be different as well.

Buy an old 80 series with a Chevy Duramax conversion......

The total swap on a 100 series is like 25k, I would say the swap on a newer 200 would be at least 25 to 30k. It would be sweet.

The total swap on a 100 series is like 25k, I would say the swap on a newer 200 would be at least 25 to 30k. It would be sweet.

Cool...you've looked into it for your hundy? It would be sweet.

With gas, and more importantly gas distribution the way it is today this is not a smart option, but I'm thinking, do it slowly and correctly, and plan a change in 3 - 5 yrs. Who knows what gas will be like then.

Would an engine need to be sourced through an overseas connection? Where would I look...is there some contacts or outfits that have connections and can import a motor?

I am ALMOST sure it would void your engine warranty!

Never mind...I took mine in the other day for something, and I got the usual...

"Is that the new Sequoia?"
"No. Its the '08 Land Cruiser"
"They don't make those anymore."
"Sure they do...I've got one sitting right there"
"Oh? I thought they didn't make it anymore?"

Never mind...I took mine in the other day for something, and I got the usual...

"Is that the new Sequoia?"
"No. Its the '08 Land Cruiser"
"They don't make those anymore."
"Sure they do...I've got one sitting right there"
"Oh? I thought they didn't make it anymore?"

LMAO My new sig!

I don't know how much gas will be in five or ten years, but I'm pretty sure you won't make up a $30,000 initial pay out by saving a few bucks per tank on fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom