Diesel Conversion for a 45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,

I have a 78 FJ45 LPB that I plan on throwing a 3B + H55 into shortly. I am down to the frame and ready to put in new engine mounts prior to cleaning up the frame and painting/galvanizing/powdercoating it (dunno exactly which to do yet).

For the swap I have a donor 12V BJ60 (rust bucket with a good engine & tranny) and a 24V 81 BJ42 donor for all the other componenets (rad mount, front disc axle etc.)

My question is this. I want to run the truck at 12V similar to the 60. I won't be needing 24V as this truck is going to be a pavement mostly, gentle offroading, summer only "Princess". This truck will not be seeing winter at all so sub zero starting will not be an issue. I figure for accessories trailer lights etc. 12V will be the easiest way to go for me.

This is my first conversion so I am at a bit of a loss as to what I need to do for the wiring harness for the truck. Do I simply use the wiring harness off the 81 BJ42 and run it at 12V? I don't see why there would be a problem with this, am I wrong here? Any gotchas that I might need to worry about? What happens with the headlights if I do this? I understand that the 24V trucks only run 12V headlights, will I have to make some modifications to the wiring harness? I have thought about this for a long time, and I am really excited about moving on this project.

Any and all help and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Adam

Last edited:
I would probably just modify the BJ60 12V harness to suit the 45 12v.

You could also modify the FJ45 wiring to run the diesel without much trouble

I was thinking about that but what would I need to modify? I will be setting up a manual glow system, so no glow plug timer would be needed, other than the edic relay what else is there?

You can tell I have never done this before...

Always willing to learn though.

Adam

MadmanCruiser said:
I was thinking about that but what would I need to modify? I will be setting up a manual glow system, so no glow plug timer would be needed, other than the edic relay what else is there?

You can tell I have never done this before...

Always willing to learn though.

Adam
When I put the 1HZ into my FJ73 I got an electrican to do it for neatness and to delete 2 old security alarms.
He didnt do much ,just extended some wiring to the starter and replaced an old relay for a new one.
He did sort out an issue where the F alternator had 2 wires coming out and the diesel alt had 3.

I used some wiring that went to the coil for the glow plugs.

I dont have an edic but the old wire to fuel cut solenoid was extended and plugged into the fuel pump solenoid.

My temp gauge wire just plugged in without any mods ditto for the oil pressure with some extension.

Hmmm...beginning to think the harness swap might be easier and harder to screw up.

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom