Did I make a mistake? (Air bag delete) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello! Long time lurker here - been reading like crazy and this forum is costing me some serious cash... It's all your fault! At least that's what I tell myself :)

So, bags went on my 2007 GX470 and I researched and researched and settled on the Bilstein B8 5100. This is not the mistake, install went quick, zero issues. The issue? Well, now the truck seems to "teeter totter" (I'm sure there is a better term for that) a bit on rougher roads. My guess is that I should have changed the fronts as well - they are stock. Does the digressive shock in back not match with the factory front?

I wasn't planning on spending the $$ on the front just yet, was wanting to wait and see how the mods I was doing affected ride height, etc. But I may be pushed into the B8 6112's prematurely.

So, did I make a mistake just doing the rear? Thank you!

Bilstein and Icon shocks are digressive. All other shock brands for the GX are progressive. I'm sure worn out front suspension that doesn't match is a big part of your problem. Did you lift the rear at all?

Bilstein and Icon shocks are digressive. All other shock brands for the GX are progressive. I'm sure worn out front suspension that doesn't match is a big part of your problem. Did you lift the rear at all?
Thanks for the note - I did not lift the rear, still thinking through the ultimate goals for the GX at this point. But, that is why I went with the 5100s, they are capable of up to 2-2.5 inches later if needed. The same goes with the 6112s for the front (if I go that way).

Like I said, was hoping to wait on the front until I had a better plan. But sounds like I may be pushed forward on this one...

If you want a cheap fix just buy some Bilstein 5100 front shocks. You can reuse the factory springs and coil mounts and they will bolt in. If you can do it yourself thats for sure under $300 and potentially under $250. I haven't looked at prices of those shocks in a while.

If you want a cheap fix just buy some Bilstein 5100 front shocks. You can reuse the factory springs and coil mounts and they will bolt in. If you can do it yourself thats for sure under $300 and potentially under $250. I haven't looked at prices of those shocks in a while.
Thank you for the thought there - I was thinking the 6112s were the only solution. Have to ponder that a bit...

6112s are also a good solution and will last longer than the 5100s but TBH you really dont need the larger shock bodies unless you plan on bombing through the desert and you can buy at least 2 sets of 5100s for the price of 1 set of 6112s. The damping of both is basically the same so the only real advantage is the larger shock body.

Hello! Long time lurker here - been reading like crazy and this forum is costing me some serious cash... It's all your fault! At least that's what I tell myself :)

So, bags went on my 2007 GX470 and I researched and researched and settled on the Bilstein B8 5100. This is not the mistake, install went quick, zero issues. The issue? Well, now the truck seems to "teeter totter" (I'm sure there is a better term for that) a bit on rougher roads. My guess is that I should have changed the fronts as well - they are stock. Does the digressive shock in back not match with the factory front?

I wasn't planning on spending the $$ on the front just yet, was wanting to wait and see how the mods I was doing affected ride height, etc. But I may be pushed into the B8 6112's prematurely.

So, did I make a mistake just doing the rear? Thank you!

I can't believe nobody asked this question but what springs did you put in the rear? You put springs in the rear of the truck when you took the bags out correct?

I can't believe nobody asked this question but what springs did you put in the rear? You put springs in the rear of the truck when you took the bags out correct?
Excellent question! You need springs? Just kidding. I did a replacement of the bags with the Arnott Coil Spring Conversion kit. At first I thought maybe the additional bounce in the ride was coming from "fresh springs" and that the ride would quiet as the springs and shocks settled. Hasn't been the case. Thank you for the question though - I much appreciate the feedback and thoughts!

Many years ago…before doing the rear coil conversion…I was running Bilstein 6112s in the front with tricked rear oem air bags and stock oem shocks. Ride was a little harsh in the rear when empty.

I change the rear stock oem shocks for OME sport shocks and the ride went to hell. Very bouncy. Only change was the rear shock.

Mixing digressive valving shocks with progressive (OME) or linear shocks was no good. I think some of the linear valving shocks can be mixed with progressive shocks.

Anyways, I soon after upgraded the rear to icon long travel shocks and dobinson dual rate 675v springs and everything is back to truck like with no excessive bounciness.

So stay digressive my friend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom