Derailleurs Skool us (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

retrofive

rɛtrəʊ
SILVER Star
Threads
Chatting with @UltraFJ40 today, I realize Im FAR out of the game.

Shimano XT stuff or LX stuff used to be my general go to back "then"

Seems new terms and "branding" have came along.

What says 'mud on current lineup's.

Was trying to help him with a rear de-rail on some older MTB stuff. 3 front 7 rear (21spd) from what I gathered.

Bang for buck and quality?

TIA

-r5

Yep, another situation where I am out of my league. Thanks R5.

I think that my 15 year old has commandeered my Warp DS2 for the time being. We have done a few things to it in getting it up to speed but now comes the finer things which I know next to nothing about.

I can't help but think that derailleurs are just a basically ill-conceived idea TBH. The basic idea is that you will forcefully jump a chain from one gear to another often under load in a basically haphazard manner will all sort of resulting shock loads. In principle that sounds terrible, but I have to admit it sort of works in real life. Although it's pretty cringing if you like smooth mechanisms. Is that really the best we can come up with on a large commercial scale after so many years?

I can't help but think that derailleurs are just a basically ill-conceived idea TBH. The basic idea is that you will forcefully jump a chain from one gear to another often under load in a basically haphazard manner will all sort of resulting shock loads. In principle that sounds terrible, but I have to admit it sort of works in real life. Although it's pretty cringing if you like smooth mechanisms. Is that really the best we can come up with on a large commercial scale after so many years?
If your pockets are deep you can buy a Rohloff. I think derailleurs are pretty amazing and work really well for the weight and cost, but to each their own!

Was trying to help him with a rear de-rail on some older MTB stuff. 3 front 7 rear (21spd) from what I gathered.

TIA

-r5
If you're just looking for damaged parts on an older bike, I would personally look for NOS or the current equivalent rather than start upgrading. Otherwise you'll run into compatibility issues and end up replacing the whole drivetrain and spending more than the bike is worth. At least that's my take.

All good info. Just was trying to help a brother out.

TIA

-r5
If you are looking to replace just the rear derailleur on a 7sp And stay with 7. Probably need to find an old one of the same on pink bike or eBay. From what I remember 7 and 8 and possibly 9 speed were all the same leverage ratio. Anything new will be only compatible with 11 or 12 speed rear cassettes.

If you have older cassette bodies, you can pick up 10-speed XT rear shifter and derailleur for under $100. Run a single chainring up front and it'll ride very nicely.

If you have older cassette bodies, you can pick up 10-speed XT rear shifter and derailleur for under $100. Run a single chainring up front and it'll ride very nicely.
That is what I did when I switched my old S-works to a 2x10 to use as a gravel set up. Works great. Wolf tooth makes 1x conversion rings for most older cranks.

Used a wolf tooth to change my 2x10 enduro to a 1x12

1632772447123.jpeg

486DAF90-4B21-4794-BC4D-256CF7E3A566.jpeg

Last edited:
As long as your chain line is decent, you shouldn't need a "conversion" ring. I've run "regular" rings with no issues.

@coleAK - love the Kona.

What is your friend trying to do and what is the budget?
Without knowing the exact model of the free hub it's tough to gauge, BUT if he's running a true 7 speed hub you will not be able to upgrade to a 10 speed - which would be the only upgrade worthwhile, really. But, if the hub is generally wide enough to run a 8 or 9 then it can probably run a 10 speed, especially if it's a Mavic free hub as those were the widest made before 10 speed was invented and can fit that cassette without a problem.

@bcart1991 is directionally the best idea. You can probably pickup a 10 speed drivetrain for cheap, and make it a 1x10. $100 for the shifter and derailleur, yes, but you'll need a cassette and chain, probably another $100. Remove the small and large rings on the crank, along with the derailleur and shifter and you're good. Make sure the rear derailleur is clutched. Yes, Shimano makes some 10 speed that are not clutched during the technology transition.

That'll get you up to date more or less, and with the right cassette you should be able to get near, at or above 500% range - but again, I don't know what the details of the front rings are, etc.

I dunno if this is still relevant, but after switching from Shimano XT to Sram XX1 to Shimano XTR, and back to Shimano XT... nothing beats shimano xt for drivetrain. Imo its kind of the gold standard in mtb mechs.

I dunno if this is still relevant, but after switching from Shimano XT to Sram XX1 to Shimano XTR, and back to Shimano XT... nothing beats shimano xt for drivetrain. Imo its kind of the gold standard in mtb mechs.
On the above Kona I went from XT 2x10 to X01 1x12 to X01 axis back to XT 1x12. As it sits now (and I’m happy with it) Eagle X01 cassette and chain with XT derailleur and shifter. In my book Sram can’t touch the function and feel of shimano shifting. Next issue is brakes, I’ll likely switch back to shimano From these squishy high maintenance G2 ultimates, turns out I do not care for “modulation”

D7503687-10BD-4857-94B6-E003ED9DEE1B.jpeg

On the above Kona I went from XT 2x10 to X01 1x12 to X01 axis back to XT 1x12. As it sits now (and I’m happy with it) Eagle X01 cassette and chain with XT derailleur and shifter. In my book Sram can’t touch the function and feel of shimano shifting. Next issue is brakes, I’ll likely switch back to shimano From these squishy high maintenance G2 ultimates, turns out I do not care for “modulation”

View attachment 3058127

I completely agree, you have all the best parts of shimano drivetrain now (the shifter). The shifts feel better, 3 upshifts, and 2 downshifts.

For brakes, this is going to sound crazy... but i run Shimano XT levers, and Magura MT5 calipers and MTX ceramic MT7 pads. They are more powerful than the Shimano saints that i had before. At slow speeds they are very on/off feeling, but the steeper the terrain, or the faster you go, the better they modulate. Its basically the shimano lever and hose bolt, magura hose, barb, and olive, and then the magura caliper. Its the bees knees

I completely agree, you have all the best parts of shimano drivetrain now (the shifter). The shifts feel better, 3 upshifts, and 2 downshifts.

For brakes, this is going to sound crazy... but i run Shimano XT levers, and Magura MT5 calipers and MTX ceramic MT7 pads. They are more powerful than the Shimano saints that i had before. At slow speeds they are very on/off feeling, but the steeper the terrain, or the faster you go, the better they modulate. Its basically the shimano lever and hose bolt, magura hose, barb, and olive, and then the magura caliper. Its the bees knees
Sweet. The only reason I haven’t gone Magura is do not like the feel of the levers. Glad to know they work with Shimano. Do you have the newer XT leavers, these ones?

image.jpg

Sweet. The only reason I haven’t gone Magura is do not like the feel of the levers. Glad to know they work with Shimano. Do you have the newer XT leavers, these ones?

View attachment 3058211
yep! Those exact levers haha. I hated the Magura levers too. Id say the brakes feel like just really strong shimano brakes. It takes a bit to get all 4 pistons going in and out at the same rate but totally worth it imo. I wound up getting my MT5 calipers for pretty cheap used on pinkbike

Old & prob outdated, I’m resurrecting my old build thread, saw this…I’ll prob be parting my old GT Zaskar w/ a 2x9 Shim XT drivetrain / thumbie shifters.

LMK if anything is worth a talk, I’ll give you stuff if you take enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom