Daddy's home! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My poor 80 is squeaky and rattles. My 2 year old can hear me inside the house as I pull up into the drive way. I have a rust belt 80, and was wondering were to start. I've replaced the springs and shocks, the brakes all the way around are in pretty bad shape. I plan on replacing the rotors, calipers in the near future. When I jump out of my rig, I can push the car up and down at a stop and rattles from all directions, Any suggestions, Thanks,

Possibly retirement time? you can find some fairly rust free ones out california way for reasonable dime. and if you have access to a car hauler and have wrenching skills , there are a few i have seen posted cheap with head gasket problems. 2-3g and some work (sounds like less work than u need to put into yours ) would probably net you a better rig.

x2 on a newer rig.

Shipping cross country is actually pretty cheap. Find a rig with a blown HG and good body, and either do a rebuild or a swap. Part out the leftover rig and you should about break even or maybe even make a few bucks.

Not much info to go on here and no clear question in the thread. What are you asking? People seem to be replying that you should get a new truck, yet in your post I see no operating issues whatsoever - just a few squeaks and rattles. Since the miles and condition of your truck aren't posted, there's no way to know if this is normal or not.

So what's the point of the post and if it's just to say hello from Norfolk, then hello back. No big deal.

DougM

Rig has 120K miles, mechanically sound, no major mechanical issues other than the brakes, calipers and rotors. I guess my question is for major chasis rattles where do I begin the search for resolution. I'm not a mech.. and I use this site for advice and ideas

My poor 80 is squeaky and rattles. My 2 year old can hear me inside the house as I pull up into the drive way. I have a rust belt 80, and was wondering were to start. I've replaced the springs and shocks, the brakes all the way around are in pretty bad shape. I plan on replacing the rotors, calipers in the near future. When I jump out of my rig, I can push the car up and down at a stop and rattles from all directions, Any suggestions, Thanks,

If I'm understanding you correctly, are you bouncing the suspension up and down? Is your driveway paved or is it rough enough to work your suspension? We need some more info. Have you crawled under your rig and had somebody else bounce it while you listen/look? It's kinda hard to help you with the info you've given.

Last edited:
I would start at the exhaust. Most of my rattles have come from there. Keep your rig. Don't let the :princess: from areas without rust tell you to ditch it because of a little rust here and there...

:steer:

120K on original shocks and coils? Replace them with either OEM or OME - they're shot from age and mileage. If you are at all interested in any lift at all, this is the time to do it.

Lube the door hinges. Check all the major nuts and bolts on the control arms, steering links, etc. Do the items you want to do you've mentioned.

check the o2 sensors they can pop out and sound awful. My rear o2 sensor was out and I was thinking there was something loose in the rear exhaust.

The o2 when loose the wire is keeping it attached so hence it will rattle and bang while driving. And will cause the exhaust to sound squirrely. my .02 and thats about what its worth....

Just got my new sway bar bushings today from Dan to fix the annoying squeak that has developed. Start with the cheap and easy parts and X2 on getting under it and listening as someone bounces it around. Put a hand on each part and wiggle it, tighten any obvious and reachable bolts. Most my rattles are from aftermarket parts with the exception of the sunroof.

You could get under the rig and try to grease and lube all the moving parts.

Also you can check the cats, they are known for rattling and making a bunch of racket while idling in drive.

I like the kick tire method of finding noises.

Body bushings is something else to take a gander at + what others have mentioned.

Thanks, appreciate the input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom