Custom Fuel Tank In The 60... help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, the 60 has been out of commission for a couple months now. The leaky fuel tank got too bad, so I literally had to yank it out.

34383596053_e4fc3f2f28_h.jpg

See those 4 bolts through the top? Yeah, they used to be carriage bolts; had to grind the heads off from inside the truck. Thats also how the stupid thing was mounted: 4 bolts going all the way through the tank with rubber washers or something on the bottom. That's where it was leaking.

It's possibly an old Man-A-Fre long range tank. Either way, it mounts behind the axle and let me go about 4 weeks between fill ups. And remember, this runs on diesel.

I did some research on tank design and decided to use my resources and design my own.

35962248756_2e3dcd4581_h.jpg

I relocated the fuel pickup in the back of the tank rather than the front. That would explain why the engine would die if I took too long going up a steep hill or got stuck going up a steep incline. I think the capacity will be about 38 gallons or so. A little smaller than the old one.

The weird thing is since that this tank is for gas and the 60 used to be gas, there were like 5 or so hoses connected to the tank that didn't do anything.

Here's a diagram of the Toyota 3B fuel system:

35993228956_558a1626f9_z.jpg

So, the tank only needs 3 nozzles/ports: Fuel fill, engine feed and vent. Then of course the connection for the fuel sending unit.

I have all the lines and connections figured out. The thing that I'm unsure about is how to mount the thing. I think I'd like to weld in some angle to the underside of the body that will sort of frame up the top of the tank. I'd isolate with adhesive-backed rubber strips. Then bolt some straps to the front of the frame and use T bolts to tighten up the straps on the back. That's the idea, anyway.

Anyone have a 110 welder I could borrow? If anyone wants to spend a few hours at my place to figure this out I'd have a well-stocked fridge of some great craft brews on hand! This probably won't happen until Mid-August at this rate. Or later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom