curiosity got the cat? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
today i was replacing the gears out of my 75/40 t/c because the case was broken and leaked. had a left over case and gears from an orion conversion so it looked easy. the conv. was on a 76/40. anyway did find out that the high speed gears did not match. the pitch of gears was way off. ended using all 76 gears. also, two other factors, the driven hi gear was narrower on the 75 than on the 76 and the dog gear was riveted on.

i beleive alls well that ends well- i did catch my screw up before i cranked too hard on the front cone.

anyway has anyone seen this before? it is a 04/75 model and the gear tooth count is the same-just the pitch is off.
curiose george

p.s. wish i had a camera to show the east tex. redneck patch on the original t/c. tore a 2" hole wher the drain was and fived it with a sheet metal patch and jb weld. it would work for about one day. all you needed on the lease.:grinpimp: :beer:

Welcome to mid-year changeover fun....

Four-speed transfer case gears changed in May of 1975, previous to that, they were thinner in design, similar to the three-speed era gear sets.

:beer:

thx poser

the seals and bearings all seem to be the same. guess i have 76 t/c now. jim

madoc1 said:
thx poser

the seals and bearings all seem to be the same. guess i have 76 t/c now. jim

Those pieces are interchangeable.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom